Author Topic: Soccer rubbish v dog mess  (Read 1379 times)

skyflyer

• Regular poster
Soccer rubbish v dog mess
« on: September 10, 2012, 07:31:04 PM »
I have a dog; I don't play soccer. I clean up after my dog. Some people don't.  I guess ome soccer players clean up after themselves but many seem not to.  I ave felt inclined for some time to affix a sign to the entrance to the fields saying

"Soccer Players - if you clean up after yourselves and remove your rubbish, I'll clean up after my dog and remove his poo!"

Does the panel think this would be helpful or inflammatory?

Claire E

• Regular poster
Re: Soccer rubbish v dog mess
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 10:27:28 AM »
Hi Skyflyer. I agree that both are an issue; in fact the council threatened to ban some  football teams from using the field after my husband reported a particularly bad mess one week. However since my toddlers play on the field I am personally more concerned about the dog mess - I can see dog owners who fail to clear up from my windows and have been tempted to sit there with a megaphone and call out to offenders to pick it up! I guess that could be inflammatory too though  ;)

Kreed

• Regular poster
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 12:27:27 PM »
I'm in complete agreement with you both, but it's a tricky one. I would hazard a guess and say that the majority of dog walkers clean up their doggy do while the few don't bother cleaning up after the event. I don't have a dog but I always have my mobile phone camera with me. In future if I spot a dog owner blatantly ignoring the law I will try to film the event then send it to the dog warden.

Regarding the footballers, I understand they are regulated by the Worcester parks department. They were going to send a warden down to make sure there was no rubbish left after games, but this seems to have fallen by the wayside. Perhaps a short film just after the match had finished would be sufficient to remind the parks department that a warden should be attending when matches are being played.

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 03:58:41 PM »
I am a DWT volunteer litter warden and I did used to regularly pick up the rubbish left by the football teams. I'll be honest though, while I don't mind attending to random rubbish I'm damned if I'm going to clean up after them on a weekly basis as I think you'll agree?
I think one ploy would be to try and get their football league involved with the fields too and perhaps then this may help? I do not want to stop them playing football though as this is one use of the fields that they are obviously meant for!

Some time ago I did bring the issue up with the Council of a litter bin, their argument at the time was that they didn't have the staff to empty it!

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 05:04:10 PM »
These are sticky subjects(no pun intended) and ones that i have tackled the council about on several occasions(no pun intended there either),but I must say that I eventually gave up after a few Sundays of trudging around the footy fields with a plastic bin liner or three.It was suggested that a council employee handed out on the spot fines to deter litter louts,but nothing seemed to come of it,and in the end I was given my own litter pick up device  which I have to this day.

I too have issues with dog mess and have contacted the council on a couple of occasions when I have
been able to identify the culprit.The person they caught,STILL doesn't pick up the dog poo,so I despair.
Many of the culprits bring their dogs from a distance in a car and I have noticed that many of these people don't pick up poo.

Earlier in the year,I contacted the wildlife wardens about  one particular person who to this day has never been caught,who had regularly been flinging a bag of dog poo over into the nature reserve once a day.The wardens dealt with it by posting laminated notices all the way along to say that the situation was being monitored and that the fine was a hefty one.This seemed to work and the phantom poo flinger flung no more! Perhaps the same approach could be used on the playing fields,new laminated signs all the way round the playing fields...it won't cost much either.The dog poo leavers would never know if they were being filmed or photographed would they?Of course if you see someone in a vehicle who doesn't pick up their dog poo then take their registration number and phone the dog warden or council.

I see no reason why we should put up with people not cleaning up ANY mess they have made and now we are a combined force we can ask the council to deal with it.

I love Claires idea of the megaphone....it would be like something off a Dom Joly programme...but that would be going too far..wouldn't it? ;)