Author Topic: New Road??  (Read 2270 times)

christopher

• Regular poster
New Road??
« on: August 10, 2012, 01:18:16 PM »
"Wifey" popped into the Hive today. Apparently on some planning application/map there is a proposal for a new road to run through the fields from the new Greenway Drive access.

???

jaybee

• Regular poster
Re: New Road??
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 01:36:52 PM »
Well well well!  This confirms a whisper I heard some years ago.The field would be bisected by this new road,with the cut off bit (where the henge is now),used for "affordable" housing.Didn't like to mention it before as I didn't want to cause unnecessary concern.Will try and get the council to email this "proposal" and get it on here asap.

Is someone somewhere telling us porkies? >:(

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 01:46:49 PM »
Forgot to say to "wifey" well done for digging that snippet of information out. :)

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 04:21:50 PM »
I think the sooner we get this "Friends of" started the better, before we have tarmac around our ears!

Kreed

• Regular poster
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 05:05:59 PM »
I managed to track down this proposal for a new road across Diglis Playing fields:

The proposed new road is the red dotted line.:

The information comes from the 'Adopted Proposal Map', new road TR16 - TR17
 :o

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 08:49:28 PM »
Thanks for that. Now, do we want it or indeed need it??

???

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 11:43:15 AM »
What worries me about a new road is that it quite simply chops the playing fields in half.This may mean that the council might start saying that the henge area is underused (see the Private Eye cuttings) and it may be earmarked for building houses eventually.Am I being too suspicious here? :-\

skyflyer

• Regular poster
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 07:28:16 PM »
What is the date of this application?  When I moved to the area in 1999 this road proposal came up in the searches. When the development of Diglis Basin started it  was not part of the proposal. I spoke to the planning office  about it and they said that as the development was a private enterprise they could not put a road across council property and if they asked the council to sell the land, then the council had a 'ransom strip' and would be duty bound to use that to get the highest possible price.

However, think carefully about what you wish for - or not.  The original proposal means that traffic to-from the new development would no longer be routed along Diglis Lane which is designated - at present - as the major access route to the development with access via the Diglis Road, Bath Road junction (The Albion pub) becoming  restricted to traffic going into Worcester or returning - ie anyone on the new development heading for the M5 must enter and exit via Diglis Lane.

The original proposal showed that with the new road across the fields then Diglis Lane would become a dead end.

Would it be a disaster to be cut in half?  If it kept the playing fields and dogs separate that would be no bad thing - see my other thread about dog mess versus rubbish from soccer games.

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 09:42:07 AM »
I think it's the wrong decision to disect the fields with a road, first a road then what? Dog poo will always be a problem and footballers and field users would ultimately be closer to trafffic fumes and the dangers of a nearby road. If a road were to eventually be proposed I think we would need a democratic vote on it?

skyflyer

• Regular poster
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 05:06:51 PM »
Christopher

I wish I had your confidence that we will even be consulted let alone get a vote! I think you might also find that those close to Diglis Lane would be happy to see their road become a quiet dead end and the traffic go across the filed instead

Personally I think its not going to happen -  an 'old' story!