Author Topic: Scam phone calls  (Read 913 times)

gsullivan

• Regular poster
Scam phone calls
« on: August 07, 2014, 12:57:22 PM »
Hi I thought I should post this to make everyone aware. I've just received a phone call from a scammer claiming to be calling on behalf of BT, talk talk and virgin media. Basically the guy in his Indian accent said my computer has a virus and I must go to a website and download an anti virus programme. I've heard of this scam before where they ask for your bank details and empty your bank account.

I hope they're not circulating in the area, so I thought I should post this and hope nobody is made a victim.  >:(

jaybee

• Regular poster
Re: Scam phone calls
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 02:31:50 PM »
Thanks for that info;my cousin who is now retired was scammed recently.They claimed(foreign accent) that they were from Microsoft on this occasion and had found "problems" on his computer.To put this right they needed to get into his computer,so he gave them his details etc to allow access,then charged him ?150 to "put it right",which of course he paid with his credit card!!!
He didn't think much of it,then they 'phoned again the next day to ask for more details,which he gave them.Then his daughter came to visit and when he told her what had been going on,she realised he'd been scammed,and took steps to prevent any more damage.They had the nerve to phone again and he told them he'd changed all his details,including his credit cards.

The emphasis here is to say it can happen to anyone.My cousin is a retired Dr of Science,with three degrees to his name,intelligent and lucid,and he was scammed.

Don't ever give anyone any details for any reason is what I would advise.Keep asking questions of these
vile scammers,and they soon go away with nowt,and usually a very big flea in their ear from me ;)

Incidentally,he tried to claim on his insurance,but because he had willingly given out his details,he got nothing.Be aware and warn others!

gsullivan

• Regular poster
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 11:56:15 PM »
It makes my blood boil :-[ your poor cousin.

Cllr Lynn Denham

• Regular poster
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 07:15:26 PM »
This is theft and should be reported to the police.  Ring 101 for non-emergency calls.