Author Topic: Positive replies only please in support of the Diglis Community Centre.  (Read 7493 times)

Admin

• Administrator
No problems KeithM .. we will have you acquainted with all the geek acronyms used on a forum in no time at all...  ;)

Admin

• Administrator
I paid a visit to the Diglis Community Centre and apart from taking a few photos I also talked to three lads from the rented apartments opposite. When I mentioned that people were interested in opening the Diglis Community Centre and having it as a boxing and training place but also with its own ring and punch bags etc.,  they were all positive, one  said 'count me in'.

Well with that response I really think that a boxing area could / should be sponsored by local business. They are or should be itching for this opportunity do something positive for the local community..

KeithM, I found the following detail  on the letting agents website:

Address
Building B7, Diglis Basin, Worcester
Area : Worcester

Region : Worcestershire

Department : Worcester

Tenure: To Let

Suitable for other uses, subject to planning.
Forming part of larger 431 unit residential development.
To let on flexible lease terms.
Rent: On application
Property Type
Office

Availability date: 2011-03-22

Price: Consult us

Area
1495.00 Sq Ft - 4585.00 Sq Ft
138.60 m2 - 425.40 m2

Diglis Basin lies approximately ? a mile to the south of Worcester City Centre on the eastern bank of the River Severn.  Vehicular access is gained from DigIis Dock Road via Diglis Road from the Bath Road which links directly to the London Road (A44) and the southern link road (A444) and is within 2 miles of junction 7 of the M5.

Accomodation
The approximate net internal areas are:

sq. m.

sq. ft.

Ground floor

First floor

Second floor

Total

Property Details
Building B7 comprises a detached three storey building of steel framed construction, with glazed, and brick cladding under a pitched roof. Laid out on three floors the building has been finished to a shell specification with a lift shaft installed internally.

Services
A service charge is levied in respect of the general maintenance of the development further details available upon application.

Rateable
Not yet assessed for business rates

KeithM

• Regular poster
Thanks for that Admin, I have PM'd Adam Scott and will seriously look into this, I think a mailshot is in order as well to get local residents giving ideas and helping.

KeithM

• Regular poster
Re: Positive replies only please in support of the Diglis Community Centre.
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 02:01:48 PM »
I have contacted the Worcester News and James Connell their Chief Reporter has rung me, he is interested in the story and has said he will look into it, so let's hope that A) he can make things clearer and B) he can spread the story and drum up some support, will let you know if I hear anything else from him or you may read about it in the paper!

Also I have not forgotten the kind offer of the local Coop notice board, I am at present creating a short and to the point poster to display in local shops etc, and will be contacting you shortly.

KeithM

• Regular poster
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2014, 11:30:54 AM »
Hi All, Just received the following E-Mail from James Connell, chief reporter on the Worcester News, Well done and many thanks to Councillor Denham!

Hello, yes Keith, thank you, I have found out a bit more. A story is written and waiting to go in with pictures. Strangely, Taylor Wimpey denied they had applied to create flats there initially but have since had to sent an amended statement. They did apply to convert the centre into six flats but the application was withdrawn. Fortunately councillor Denham had records of her conversations with planners and a reference number for the application.
Regards
James

Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2014, 01:41:12 PM »
Well done KeithM and Cllr. Denham, With the help of Adam Scott there should be a Diglis community centre up and running before too long.

I do hope that the Boxing, training and coaching area will be considered as one of the first parts of the building to be converted, top floor possibly?

If the community invests in the young of Diglis then they will have a discipline that will help them in their future lives. I'm sure the local businesses will contribute to fitting out the boxing club, also considering the underhand play by Taylor Wimpey they may agree to finish the interior of the whole building.

Who knows Diglis boxing centre may well produce a few World boxing champions in the coming years.

KeithM

• Regular poster
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 02:18:14 PM »
Hi Admin, I have already talked to an amateur boxing group and I also thought that the top floor could be transformed into a boxing ring and training area with showers etc, the guys I spoke to were very interested especially as their trainer is looking at living locally! and the money generated from them would help pay for other community ideas that would not be able to afford to pay. We are a very long way off yet, but I hope for great things!

KeithM

• Regular poster
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2014, 02:35:43 PM »
You wouldn't be a boxer yourself would you Admin? .....maybe you could help out and show them the ropes!

Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2014, 02:57:41 PM »
Unfortunately, boxing isn't one of my strengths but one of my ancestors was a pugilist, that was a few hundred years ago though and I doubt that I inherited his genes.

If I can help out in any way I am capable of, I will. Keeping on top of the Diglis.com website takes up a fair bit of my time but if there is an opening which I feel I could manage I'll certainly try my best to help your project along.

I, like yourself hope for great things.

Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 09:12:25 PM »
Hello, yes Keith, thank you, I have found out a bit more. A story is written and waiting to go in with pictures.

Hi KeithM

If the evening news are waiting for pictures before publishing the story they are more than welcome to use the best of the three I posted. The one with the lad holding what appears to be a ball (but could be a huge boulder  ;) ) would illustrate that the local youth certainly require a local community centre.

KeithM

• Regular poster
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2014, 07:32:14 AM »
Hi All, grab your copy of the Worcester News today! Page 3, virtually a full page spread on the centre! I have also found an interesting article from the WN from 2006 which I will post here shortly, just now though I'm off to buy my copy.

KeithM

• Regular poster
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 01:06:53 PM »
I have found this report from the Worcester News dated 21/09/2006:

Diglis Basin revival takes a major step forward
9:55am Thursday 21st September 2006 in NewsBy Tom Edwards
THE Diglis Basin project is set to take a massive step forward today with approval set to be granted for 215 new homes, a community centre, a gym, offices and a cafe.
The much-heralded project is set to completely transform the site off Diglis Dock Road.
The latest step forward for the scheme - known as phases three and four - is set to see approval granted for 215 of the 421 homes that will eventually sit on the site. Planners will also scrutinise the overall appearance and quality of the landscaping - a vital element of the entire process.
The red light is set to be given for: l Two hundred and fifteen new homes, consisting of one and two bedroom flats and two and three bedroom houses, 25 of which will be affordably priced.
l An on-site gymnasium.
l Office space - special live/work' units where people can buy a home and get an office attached with it.
l A community centre for local residents on Diglis Dock Road.
l A cafe and restaurant overlooking the canal basin All the developments will sit on derelict brownfield land directly off Diglis Dock Road and opposite to the River Severn.
It used to be home to several postwar industrial units, but it had declined in use, leading to the demolition of the buildings last year.
Head of planning Paul O' Connor said: "This really takes in the majority of the plans for Diglis Basin, including much of the house building and all the additional facilities we wanted to see, like the community centre, the gym and the cafe and office units."
The development has been hailed as one of the biggest and the most exciting regeneration schemes in Worcester.
Worcester City Council leader Councillor Simon Geraghty said: "It is truly great to see more phases in this project coming forward. I'm really enthused about getting this regeneration done in Worcester and see this as a key site.
"It really does show just how far we have come with Diglis.
"We have to bring brownfield sites like this back into use.
"This is a very good development for Worcester and will put us on the regional and national map in terms of tempting people to come and live here. It will also do a lot for our targets when it comes to affordable housing.
"Although it is a mixed use building, the site will always lend itself to house building, and I feel we have made a very good compromise with houses, flats and other facilities like a community centre being created," he added.

Sam

• Regular poster
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 07:18:42 PM »
Hi

I've looked for the story in the news but can't find the article you mentioned. You said it was written by the senior reporter, do you think the editor pulled the story for some reason?

Perhaps Taylor Wimpey pulled a few strings?

KeithM

• Regular poster
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2014, 08:25:42 PM »
Hi Sam, it has not been on the Worcester News website at all, I have sent James an E-Mail asking if it will be, though the page 3 spread in the paper was quite good. I have a copy of the paper and will see if I can scan it, and somehow get it on this site, but then my grandson might have more chance than me!

KeithM

• Regular poster
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2014, 08:26:54 PM »
Hi Sam, it has not been on the Worcester News website at all, I have sent James an E-Mail asking if it will be, though the page 3 spread in the paper was quite good. I have a copy of the paper and will see if I can scan it, and somehow get it on this site, but then my grandson might have more chance than me!