Author Topic: Positive replies only please in support of the Diglis Community Centre.  (Read 7493 times)

Admin

• Administrator
Under the terms of the agreement between Taylor Wimpey and the Worcester City Council it was agreed that a community centre would be built for the benefit on the Diglis residents. The building has been built on Diglis Dock Road and even a finger post erected pointing to it. However, it's never been opened and is filled with building materials.

Sarah1302 asked the question of its whereabouts.

Cllr. Denham replied:
The designated 'Community Centre' on the development is the empty block on Diglis Dock Road that the builders are using for storage.  It has a 'To Let' or 'For Sale' sign on it.  A while back the developer put in a planning application to convert the 'community centre' to more apartments.  I challenged this with the planning officers and it was refused.
The potential for a 'community centre' is still there for now!

And KeithM is very keen to get this facility open for the good of the community.

Positive posts only please.

KeithM or anyone, if your can think of more questions that could be put in the poll please PM me.

To view the results and comments you have vote first.

Eco Warrior

• Regular poster
Just tried to post my vote which failed as I'm a 4 x No.

Sorry guys but as I've said elsewhere I feel it's a non starter and I'm too busy to flog a dead horse.

No here's a challenge - prove me wrong. I'll be happy to eat humble pie if you get it going. Good luck.

jaybee

• Regular poster
I hope someone takes up the challenge and runs with it.At present,only members of Diglis.com are aware of plans for a community centre,and altho' membership is high...there are still a good few hundred folk out there who know nothing about any community centre.

Perhaps anyone interested could contact the local paper with a view to letting the people of Diglis know what is available via an article...the free paper (Berrows) would probably be more than willing to run a story on it.Just a thought....

gsullivan

• Regular poster
You could always pop down to the co-op. We have a notice board behind the till. Lots of customers read the board. Happy to put a notice up for you.  8)

adam scott

Re: Community Centre?
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 11:21:51 AM »
Hi all, just reading the discussion on the community centre with interest.  I am a trustee and Deputy  Chair of the Worcester Community Trust which runs the seven community centres that were transferred across to the new charity by the local authority (referred to above).  I also help Lynn out with her ward issues. 

While the WCT centres all do a great job and are really busy with lots of activities, serving a city-wide catchment area, none are within easy walking distance of Diglis.   Money is really tight and we are desperately searching for new funding to replace the diminishing public sector funds which set them up.  Nevertheless I am sure WCT would be supportive.

It strikes me that a new Diglis Community Centre would need the following:
Premises  Great that there seems to be a space available, due to planning and Lynn ? but who owns it and would they give a lease for it to the local community?  And what rent would they charge?  What actually could it be used for? ? probably not sports, but a great multi-purpose meeting and cultural space.
Organisation. A local body needs to be set up to take a lease.  Not difficult ? there?s lots of examples around of how to do this ? but needs committed people to take this on and set up something new for Diglis.  Two good examples are St Peter?s Parish Hall and Lyppard Grange.
Finances.  What costs would there be of a building, not just rent but also obvious heat and power, cleaning, equipment, etc.  Some recurring costs, some one-offs.  What would you charge users? Needs an overall business plan, which would make it possible to search for alternative funding e.g. National Lottery, Trusts and donations.
Local Commitment.  People to use the centre, to make bookings, organise it and provide volunteer support.   But now lots of planning and open discussion, getting as many people involved as possible.  The work of diglis.com is a fantastic springboard.

I would be glad to join a team setting this up.

christopher

• Regular poster
St. Mark's Church Hall already holds quite a few community events and classes. As a "ready made" venue would that not be suitable for whatever may be envisaged?

susan

• Regular poster
St Marks holds lots of other events so are limited timewise. I think that the people trying to get Diglis Community Center off the ground would like to fill the place everyday and evenings, also weekends.

Lots of interesting ideas being talked about; web use for people who haven't tried, boxing for youths so would need to store their ring and punchbags, flower arranging, history lessons, boat maintenance, oh so many I could fill the page.

Suffice to say that the Diglis CC would be more practical for the people living round the basin.

KeithM

• Regular poster
Hi Susan, my vision entirely, If the building  has already been reserved as a community centre and signposted as such, then how do we get it kitted out as a fully functioning CC, why would it have for sale or to let boards? Maybe Councillor Denham could tell us where to start?

jaybee

• Regular poster
Please see Adam Scott's reply four posts up for ideas and suggestions.

KeithM

• Regular poster
Thanks Jaybee and Adam, Thats two of us who would help to set it up! though it is disappointing that only three people have actually filled in the yes/no questions out of all the times it has been read. but never say never, will keep plodding on, I'm thinking about doing a small leaflet drop to the whole of Diglis, so that anybody that does not know about this site and might want to get involved, can.

KeithM

• Regular poster
Hi Adam, Thank you very much for your support and offer of help, without putting any personal details onto this site, is there any way I can get in touch?

Admin

• Administrator
You can PM Adam, KeithM .. or if you like I can make an area available on the site that would be private and only the Diglis Community Center team will be able to see it.

Let me know and I'll set it up.

KeithM

• Regular poster
Hi Admin, I'm probably going to look very silly here, (still trying to learn all these highly technical terms) what does PM him mean?

Admin

• Administrator
Hi KeithM

A PM is a personal message that you can send to any member of Diglis.com. Click on your name (left of a post) and it will take you to your profile, again on the left, you will see Actions. Click on 'send a personal message' and put in the persons name they are using, a message box will open and you can type your message then send it. Nobody except the person who it's intended for will be able to read it. It does depend how often the member signs in though because they will only know when they do sign in that they have a personal message.

click on this link and it will take you to the trusts website where they will give you his contact number.

KeithM

• Regular poster
Hey thanks Admin, thats great! I was in the Royal Navy and can read flashing lights, flags and Morse code, but I need my grandson to show me how to do all this web stuff!