Author Topic: Diglis river locks  (Read 2392 times)

Admin

• Administrator
Diglis river locks
« on: May 24, 2014, 05:05:37 PM »

The Diglis Locks are the only pair of locks on the River Severn. The small lock is 20ft (6m) wide and 98ft (30m) long and big enough to fit 12 double decker buses.The Diglis Locks are two of the deepest of the 1,650 that the canal and riverside Trust looks after.To access the Worcester and Birmingham Canal from the Severn, one must first ascend one of the two pairs of locks leading up from the river. The River Severn is the longest river in Great Britain, at about 220 miles,but the second longest on the British Isles, behind the River Shannon. It rises at an altitude of 610 metres on Plynlimon, Ceredigion near Llanidloes, Powys, in the Cambrian Mountains of mid Wales. It then flows through Shropshire, Worcestershire and Gloucestershire, with the county towns of Shrewsbury, Gloucester and the cathedral city of Worcester is a on its banks. With an average discharge of 107 m�/s at Apperley, Gloucestershire, the Severn is the greatest river in terms of water flow in England and Wales.

To view live webcam click HERE

KeithM

• Regular poster
Re: Diglis river locks
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 09:36:02 PM »
many thanks for this very informative post, just one thing, does the British waterways group still exist, I thought that they were took over by the Canal and River Trust in July of 2012? I may be wrong, perhaps somebody would let me know, but very interesting post and another feather in the cap for Worcester and Diglis.

jerry

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 01:17:14 PM »
Hi KeithM

You are correct, British Waterways, often shortened to BW, was a statutory corporation wholly owned by the government of the United Kingdom. It served as the navigation authority for the majority of canals and a number of rivers and docks in England, Scotland and Wales.

On 2 July 2012 all of British Waterways' assets and responsibilities in England and Wales were transferred to the newly founded charity the Canal & River Trust.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Eco Warrior

• Regular poster
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 08:34:16 PM »
Hi Admin.
Thanks for posting the web cam link. It's fascinating to see the rise and fall. Overnight (fri to Sat) the rise was significant. I'm not in Worcester at present but seeing those pics makes me feel completely in touch.

Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 12:37:30 PM »
Hi Eco Warrior

I'm pleased the link to the webcam is useful to you and I hope other Diglis.com members find it so also.

I was amazed to find how fast the river level rose in just one day, useful to know if you are concerned about flooding.

Cllr Lynn Denham

• Regular poster
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 04:05:56 PM »
Diglis.com readers may be interested in Worcester Canal Group which was set up last year by local volunteers to 'enhance the amenity value of the canal for the benefit of the local community and visitors'.  They are closely linked with the regional Canals and Rivers Trust.

They have a website, Facebook page, regular meetings and activities.  Next is a litter pick on Saturday 31st May 2014, 10.30am from Lansdowne Park. 

www.worcestercanalgroup.org.uk