Author Topic: Have your say on Diglis Playing Fields & Cherry Orchard Nature Reserve plans  (Read 5422 times)

Admin

• Administrator
Fill in the online questionnaire on Diglis Playing Fields and Cherry Orchard LNR

Residents of Diglis area are being invited to view and comment on plans to invest ?912,000 in the Diglis Fields area.

To view the Worcester City Councils page on this Consultaion please click HERE

The money is to be used for improvements to public open space in the area at Diglis Playing Fields, Cherry Orchard Nature Reserve and the adjacent riverside.

You can see the latest plans at the following times:

Sunday 18 May:  2.00pm ? 4.00pm at Worcester Model Engineers, Diglis Playing Fields, Waverley Street.

Saturday 31 May:  10.00am ? 2.00pm at the Guildhall, High Street, Worcester.

Saturday 7th June, 10:00 til 14:00 Cafe Afloat in Diglis Basin.

So far ?85,000 has been spent on footpath improvements, play area improvements and landscape design.

Following previous consultation with local residents, it is now proposed that the remainder is spent on the following improvements.

1.Creating a newly equipped play area, as well as providing equipment for less structured, imaginative play too

2.Installing outdoor gym equipment, similar to that already in Gheluvelt Park

3.Enhancing and improving riverside areas, including the development of a scheme to improve segregation and safety for walkers and cyclists, and to create an attractive riverside environment in partnership with the Canal & River Trust and Worcestershire County Council

4.Increase the number of entrances to Diglis Playing Fields, and improve boundary fencing

5.Re-surface the paths in Diglis Playing Fields, increasing accessibility for pedestrians, cyclists, pushchairs, wheelchairs and mobility scooters

6.Improve the pathways leading to the Nature Reserve

7.Create a new picnic area

8.Reduce the current number of football pitches from three to two

9.Establish new parking opportunities.

Before you fill in the questionnaire please see other consultation documents:

Click on image to enlarge.

For a higher resulution Concept plan4_ preferred option prefered option4 to view the PDF format.

Phasing opportunities

In-Line Parking -Oppertunities

Natural_Play_Opportunities

Circular_Route

Fill in the online questionnaire on Diglis Playing Fields and Cherry Orchard LNR

susan

• Regular poster
I've noticed a few of the on-line survey questions are not consistent, for instance it asks:

'areas identified for recreation and football' and only gives you the following options:

Very Satisfied   Satisfied   No Opinion    Dissatisfied   Very Dissatisfied.

I'm very satisfied  with the recreation, I'm assuming that recreation is the area near the existing play ground; but very dissatisfied that there are still two football pitches although I'm very satisfied that the two remaining pitches are being moved to the north of the fields.

On the map it shows St Marks close on Waverly Street then asks the following:

'proposed bow top fence along Waverley Street and St Mark's Close.'

No mention of Diglis Lane!

WildlifeRanger

• Regular poster
There is also a further consultation event at Cafe Afloat on Saturday 7th June, 10:00 til 14:00

For the full details of the proposals, please visit the Worcester City Council's Consultations page:
http://www.worcester.gov.uk/index.php?id=2684

regards,

Heather Bainbridge
Assistant Ranger, Worcester City Council

Eco Warrior

• Regular poster
Susan,

I agree that the survey is poorly constructed in places, eg not separating "football" and "recreation" however I really cannot see your (and others) anti football stance.

I'm not a player or a fan but I strongly believe that anything that gets people, young and old, male or female, off their backsides and exercising has to be a good thing. It's only 2 hours or so on one day a week, and not even all year round. OK they swear a bit but young people do, you hear the F word in common use all the time now. You may not like it but it's a fact of life. Language is a living, changing thing.

The litter problem seems to have been much reduced by sensible talking between interested parties and cooperation from all.

Car parking is a common problem experienced by many people and caused by many others.

Just because one does not enjoy a particular activity does not mean that those that do should be deprived of their enjoyment. The pitches can be used by anyone else at all other times thus providing a green space for anything from Acrobatics to Zumba!

lankester2

• Regular poster
I'm sure that any omission of Diglis Lane from having a new fence on the survey is an error.

Regarding the football pitches, the Cinderella Ground (ex-Kays site) will come on stream in the future with refurbished pavillion, changing facilities and parking. Footballers will be able to choose whether to stay at Diglis or move to what is a purpose-built sports field.

hazel

• Regular poster
I'm not a player or a fan but I strongly believe that anything that gets people, young and old, male or female, off their backsides and exercising has to be a good thing. It's only 2 hours or so on one day a week, and not even all year round. OK they swear a bit but young people do, you hear the F word in common use all the time now. You may not like it but it's a fact of life. Language is a living, changing thing.

The litter problem seems to have been much reduced by sensible talking between interested parties and cooperation from all.

Car parking is a common problem experienced by many people and caused by many others.

Hi Eco Warrior, I understand where you are coming from but to be honest the footballers didn't help themselves when they changed their kit in full view of children, parked across residents drives, threatened another residents with violence, used the side lines to relieve themselves and used the miniature railway tunnel to do number twos in. As for swearing their language was totally unacceptable, ranging from the 'f' 'c' and 't' words. The football premiership don't allow this sort of language so I don't see why the residents of Waverley St and Diglis Lane should.

If there were full parking, toilets and changing facilities then perhaps two football pitches could be acceptable to the residents, and only if their swearing was kept under control and they were still picking the litter up in 12 months time. Until then I shall only be happy to have one multi purpose pitch so that other ball games can be used on it also.

As for exercise: the field is already being used for jogging round, rounders, general ball games, frisbee,  walking of dogs etc., when the new plans are built there will be informal play areas and places for children (young and old) to get inspiration for other types of exercise. I saw a man doing  t'ai chi on the fields a few months back. And have you seen the number of biker's using the path to the new foot bridge? There's many more then there ever was and they don't just use the fields for 90 minutes once a week; now that is what I call exercise and all the community can enjoy and watch all week round.

I'm not sure where you live but I'd bet it isn't on Waverley St or Diglis Lane. I'm not being critical of your post and I understand people have different opinions, just putting my take on the subject.  ;)

Eco Warrior

• Regular poster
Hazel
Thank you for your measured response. I don't live on the roads you mention but am often walking about the fields on Sunday mornings.
Firstly abuse, whether obscene or not, is certainly not acceptable whether coming from a footballer or anyone else. Other behaviour which might be considered to be anti social but not actually illegal is at best annoying and at worst extremely upsetting and a certain degree of tolerance and empathy needs to be used by all, whether they are residents, footballers or dog-walkers.
Illegal activities, eg defecating or urinating in public, are almost by definition unacceptable and the appropriate authorities are there to enforce the law (whether they do or not is another discussion).
A thorny subject is car parking as often there are too many cars for the space available which causes much frustration to car drivers, property owners, business proprietors, pedestrians and many others-I wish I knew the answer but I don't apart from moving to Sark where there are no cars!
The only other points I would add is to not tar everyone with the same brush. I was once in a car crash with a car driven by a lad from Kempsey, totally his fault. I try not to label all people from Kempsey as bad drivers, or indeed young men.
Lastly we all live in a city and interaction with other people is inevitable so it is in everyone's interest to have as much consideration as reasonably possible to others and yes it is a two way street.
This is a good place to discuss these emotive issues I also appreciate your views.

Sam

• Regular poster
Had a really good look at the concept plans, I like most of it except that I don't like the proposed parking bays.

I thought that the question of the grass verge being tarmacked over had been settled, this just seem another way of going about it. The amount of grass on the verges is probably the equivalent of three football pitches which is a lot of area to lose.

I saw the proposal to get the old Elliot's storage yard and put parking there, this makes a lot of sense because people would park there and do the circular walk round the river Severn and over the sustrains new bridge.

Also I noticed that it was proposed by the person who drew the concept plans up said that more parking bays could be put in by taking a strip of land inside the Cherry Orchard Nature Reserve. I know that the reserve is protected because it has Qll statues and if any part of it is used for parking I would strongly protest at:

Fields in Trust
2nd Floor, 15 Crinan Street
London
N1 9SQ

T: 020 7427 2110
E: info@fieldsintrust.org

And I'd hope that a few others would do so also.

Is the concept plan #four set in stone or is it still possible to use the Elliot's site?

Cllr Lynn Denham

• Regular poster
The purpose of the current consultations is to share the plans and proposals and allow everyone to have a say.  Nothing is 'fixed in stone'.

I hope the comments made on this website have also been submitted to the council consultation so that they can be reflected in the finally project.

Motiok

• Regular poster
I agree. I live right opposite where they play currently and Sundays mornings have become a pain. Not only do they park where they like they are rude and loud. It's not fair on residents. I am happy for people to engage in a sport with others which keeps people fit and healthy but as the pitches are so close to peoples houses they could have more respect.

I would like to see a multi purpose pitch where people could play other things like tennis etc. but there was no room for other comments on the survey.

KeithM

• Regular poster
I have not yet been able to get to a meeting, but hope to be at the cafe afloat on 7th June to see the plans then, but I was wondering, how far down the riverside the improvements can go? just because if money is available, I would love to see something done to mask the eyesore that is the sewage works and sluice gate area near Harry Davis court, even if it is only a few saplings planted along the walls.

susan

• Regular poster
Hi Keith

Looking at the concept plans in this post it seems that the riverside improvements will be on this side of the river.

Is the 'sewage works and sluice gate' on the other side of the river?

KeithM

• Regular poster
Hi Susan,

No, the sewage works are just past the bottom lock on the right hand side, just past the sea cadets building, they recently painted the walls a sickly green in order to hide all the graffiti, but of course that gave a blank canvas for more graffiti.

jerry

As I understand the concept plans they are going to tidy all that area up, but I may have got that wrong. I think it would be best if you visited the next public showing of the concept plans and ask one of the City Council people about that area.

They sometimes pop into Diglis.com and may answer your query here.

Cllr Lynn Denham

• Regular poster
I have had a check on the maps and information that I have got at home.  Between the Diglis River Basin and the river locks, it refers to 'improved pedestrian and cycle link, derelict buildings removed, trees coppiced to open out views'.  Then further along the river, after the bridge, it says 'Severn Way improvements to path surface' which goes along the nature reserve river bank.

does that help?