Author Topic: "Friends of" status for Diglis Playing Fields  (Read 4350 times)

christopher

• Regular poster
"Friends of" status for Diglis Playing Fields
« on: July 29, 2012, 06:20:15 PM »

I have now spoken to and e-mailed the Chairman of The Friends of Gheluvelt Park for information. Basically a small committee is required, members can be as active or inactive as they wish and it would be a good idea to "run it" past a Councillor for their support. I am happy to contact Roger Knight if we decide to give it a go? The Chairman of Gheluvelt has also promised to send me a copy of their one-page "resolution" as a guide.

Any thoughts, offers of commitment at this early stage would be welcome.   

Kreed

• Regular poster
Re: "Friends of" status for Diglis Playing Fields
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 01:37:44 AM »
If friends of Diglis playing fields status can, in some way, allow the Diglis community a say in the future development of the Diglis playing fields. Then count me in.

Just one thought, perhaps it might be possible to hold the committee meetings on the Diglis community site  except when there are exceptional circumstances to hold them elsewhere, if that is possible.

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 03:57:28 PM »
It may give the fields some protection if ever needed in the future? As the fields would have an entity so to speak.

Let's see how many locals would support this then?

Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 11:40:58 PM »
Just one thought, perhaps it might be possible to hold the committee meetings on the Diglis community site  except when there are exceptional circumstances to hold them elsewhere, if that is possible.

It's no problem to add a new group and make it available to the members of the  'Friends of Diglis Playing Fields'  committee  members only.

The board will be invisible to other users who choose not to be included in the discusions.

Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 11:44:01 PM »
The Chairman of Gheluvelt has also promised to send me a copy of their one-page "resolution" as a guide..   

Christopher, would you send me this 'resolution' so I can scan it and add it to the correct section of the site for other members to view it?

Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 11:11:10 PM »
That was fast work Christopher. Thank you.

It's obvious from the content that any reference to Gheluvelt Friends Group would read Diglis Playing Fields Friends Group

Quote from: Christopher
CONSTITUTION
Gheluvelt Friends Group
(Gheluvelt Park and Pump House Environment Centre)

Aims & Objectives

To work with a wide variety of voluntary and statutory organizations, including Worcester City Council and the Duckworth Trust, to improve, promote and enhance the environment in and around Gheluvelt Park and the Pump House Environment Centre

?   To identify projects and work in Gheluvelt Park which are of benefit of the community, but which cannot be undertaken by other organisations such as Worcester City Council and/or Duckworth Worcestershire Trust.

?   To provide a team of voluntary workers, undertaking a wide variety of practical tasks within Gheluvelt Park and the Pump House, where appropriate.

?   To obtain and manage grant funding to carry out such projects.
Membership
Membership of the Group is open to anyone with an interest in the maintenance and development of Gheluvelt Park and the Pump House Environmental Centre.
Group officers/Operating Committee members

Group officers   Operating Committee
Chairman   Allen Barnatt   Allen Barnatt   Liz Smith
Secretary   Ian Wigley   Ian Wigley   Mac Auld
Treasurer   Jean Davies   Jean Davies   Karen Lewing
Jude Langton   Mandy Neill

Meetings
The Group shall have an Annual General Meeting, at least 3 meetings per year which are open to all members, and meetings as required by the Working Committee and Officers.

Finances

The Group has an account at NatWest (The Cross), under the name of Gheluvelt Friends, which requires two of three authorised signature. Authorised signatories are Ian Wigley (Secretary), Jean Davies (Treasurer) and Allen Barnatt (Chairman).

Termination of Group
The Group may be closed by majority vote at an Annual general Meeting.

Please post any comments concerning the above Constitution here.

susan

• Regular poster
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 12:19:16 AM »
Hi, I've just seen the web site advertised on the notice board when you enter the nature reserve via the waste container entrance part of the reserve. I would willingly participate in friends of diglis playing fields as a volunteer. I haven't the time to become a part of a committee though.

I noticed that the boggy part of the the entrance has been graveled over, great job and well done to those who look after this wonderful nature reserve..

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 11:36:15 AM »
Thanks for your offer Susan. Let's hope more folks want to join in?

:)

Claire E

• Regular poster
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 10:36:15 PM »
My husband and I would be happy to volunteer or be part of a committee if needed.

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 12:12:06 PM »
I'll do as much as I can to help :)

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 10:12:04 PM »
Thanks Claire E and Jaybee, your offers are very much appreciated. I'll be in touch asap. Perhaps the next step is for me to contact Roger Knight and obtain his support too and then take it from there.

:)

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 11:29:34 AM »
Copy of e-mail now sent:

Dear Cllr. Knight,

I have been in touch with the DWT and the Chairman of the Gheluvelt "Friends of" group, Allen Barnatt.

We are hoping to form our own "Friends of Diglis Playing Fields", and wondered if we could have your support with this venture?

I look forward to hearing from you.
Yours faithfully,
www.diglis.com

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 10:07:02 AM »
Copy of reply from Cllr. Roger Knight:

Hi Chris,

Delighted to hear of your plan to create a friends group for Diglis, I fully support such groups as does the City Council, in fact I would like to see a friends group set up for a park we have here in St Peter's.   Allen will be a great source of inspiration and information as the achievements of Gheluvelt Friends speak for themselves, should you need additional advice and/or guidance our Parks Team will be pleased to help.

Good luck with the venture I hope it is a real success.

Kind regards,
Roger.

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 10:12:50 AM »
Along with Claire E and husband, my wife and I would also be happy to be committee members. If four is enough, should we give it a go? We wouldn't need a bank account and any meetings could always be carried out via e-mail. Really it's just a way of showing that there are people in the area with an interest in the future of the fields.

We would require others to sign up as members though to validate the idea.

:D     

Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 04:33:46 PM »
Count me in as a member christopher. When you are ready I'll start work on putting aside an area on the Diglis community website where you can swap ideas etc., before posting in the main forums.