Author Topic: Woodpecker  (Read 2472 times)

jaybee

• Regular poster
Woodpecker
« on: April 11, 2014, 04:04:41 PM »
Listen out for a woodpecker at the southern end of the reserve(the Duck Brook end).It's been giving it some welly for the last couple of days.Always a sign of spring :)

Eco Warrior

• Regular poster
Re: Woodpecker
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 07:49:56 AM »
Yes we heard a woodpecker too. About 9 ish one morning this week, not too far the path to the bridge, so more north than south. I've no idea how small a territory they have so it might be a different one. There again it might be the same one!

Jasper123

• Regular poster
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 09:27:20 AM »
Maybe the woodpecker in question is the greater spotted that has been a regular visitor to our gardens at the southern end of the fields?It has been particularly active this spring and has managed to open up the entrances to three of our tit boxes.

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 09:34:44 AM »
There's always been a woodpecker(s) in the Withy Beds where the trees are very tall,but this year  they seem to be preparing to nest in the reserve possibly...the knocking noise they make certainly seems to be coming from the reserve.Perhaps the trees are now mature enough for them to use?
I regularly saw green woodpeckers on the reserve pecking away at the anthills,sometimes parents and young and it's good to know they're thriving.

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 09:42:25 AM »
I'm so pleased the spotted pecker is thriving there again.A couple of years ago,I found a dead one on the path by Duck Brook...some moron had shot it.You may be right,they could be starting to nest on the reserve!

susan

• Regular poster
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 03:28:41 PM »
Why Do Woodpeckers Drum?

Unlike other songbirds, woodpeckers do not have a distinctive song as part of their avian vocabulary. Instead, drumming is the way the birds communicate, and woodpeckers will drum for two main reasons:

• Attracting a mate
  • Advertising a territory

Courtesy of google  ;)

It's good to know that the Cherry Orchard Nature Reserve is attracting more species. Hopefully when the new Owl house, bat boxes and bird boxes go in there will be more and more for us to all enjoy.

Which reminds me: Ranger team, when are the nesting boxes going to be installed? It will soon be too late!