Author Topic: Flood debris  (Read 2198 times)

LeisaLuna

• Regular poster
Flood debris
« on: March 16, 2014, 09:31:02 PM »
I was with some friends filming in the nature reserve today and notic d that there is a lot of debris left over from the flood. Are there any plans you do a clear up. I have a small group of willing friends up for helping, just need resources. It's mainly plastic bottles from what I saw.

Thanks for letting me know

Admin

• Administrator
Re: Flood debris
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 04:35:54 PM »
Hi LeisaLuna

Thank you for taking the time to join Diglis.com and post regarding the flood rubbish on the Cherry Orchard Nature Reserve. Diglis.com are in contact with the Wild Life Rangers (those who do so much good work on the reserve) and I'll ask jaybee to speak to them about it.

I'm sure they would welcome organising an event to clear up this rubbish, it helps a lot to have people involved and that is one of their aims.

There's a Group of people called 'Friends of Diglis Fields' who take care of the playing fields but we don't yet have a 'Friends of Cherry Orchard Nature Reserve' group.

And having a small group of willing friends up for helping would be fantastic, do you think they would like to form a 'Friends of Cherry Orchard Nature Reserve' group?

There's so much of interest in the reserve, Gail and jaybee do the butterfly survey but the rangers were hoping to have someone to survey the flora and fauna. Then there will be regular events like scrub bashing where you get to eat hot spuds from the fire when they burn the scrub.

I'm not sure if you know but 'Cherry Orchard Nature Reserve' was awarded the Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee status LINK almost two years now and there is a huge potential for funding from various means to help with the 'Cherry Orchard Nature Reserve'.

Please let me know if you have any interest in this venture. I will keep you informed about the Wild Life Rangers response. 

It would be great if a group could be formed and I'd be willing to give you access to your own private board on Diglis.com where you can all post to arrange times and events.

LeisaLuna

• Regular poster
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 05:25:39 PM »
Thanks for the quick response, that's Great and I'll wait to hear back.

With regards forming a Friends I think we would have to give it more careful consideration. We are all busy people and probably wouldn't have too much time to commit but it's something we'd all be willing to support. Maybe I can have more conversations with my friends who live in the area and more conversations with you guys and the rangers to see what we can do between us.

Thanks again. Leisa

WildlifeRanger

• Regular poster
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 03:49:25 PM »
Hello LeisaLuna,

Thank you for your interest in Cherry Orchard Nature Reserve. We were on the Reserve on Monday afternoon and my colleague collected 2 full bin bags of plastic bottles from the riverside path! He still said there were a lot left though.  If a group of you are available during the week, we could arrange to meet you and bring along litterpickers, bags etcetera - it would be great to have some help with this!

If you can't make a weekday, we are hoping to have another volunteer event on the Fields soon, to put in a new bench. We could include tidying up this area at the same event - this would be on a saturday or sunday, but we haven't set a date yet.

You can email me on heather.bainbridge@worcester.gov.uk if you'd like to arrange a litterpick with us.

regards,

Heather Bainbridge
Assistant Ranger, Worcester City Council

LeisaLuna

• Regular poster
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 04:36:31 PM »
For everyone following this thread..I've sent an email to Heather see below. I'll post here when I have a response.

Hi Heather,

Thanks for your response with regards litter picking around the riverside on Cherry Orchard Diglis reserve.

It looks like next Sunday would be a good day as the weather forecast looks good (so far). I would be available from about 1pm. Would this be of use to your team of rangers?

There may be other people who are interested in helping out from around the community but I can't promise anything. I'll await your response and then try and drum up as much interest for the task as I can around the local community.

LeisaLuna

• Regular poster
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 05:13:13 PM »
Hi. Here's Heather's last email to me. I might have a problem with the date but this seems like the best date all round. Please post here if you can make the date.

Thank you for your email and interest in litterpicking at Cherry Orchard

Unfortunately we won?t be able to do this Sunday 30th, but we are in the process of arranging the volunteer event to include installing the new bench for Sunday 6th April, if this fits in with the Friends of Diglis Fields plans. We would happily include the clear up of the river side path as part of this event! Our usual times for these events are 10am til 1pm. Would your group be able to make those times?

Thank you for your interest,

Regards,
Heather Bainbridge
Assistant Ranger - Worcester City Council
email: heather.bainbridge@worcester.gov.uk