Author Topic: Funding for the Cherry Orchard  (Read 3287 times)

Admin

• Administrator
Funding for the Cherry Orchard
« on: January 18, 2013, 02:55:18 PM »
Hi Heather,

Is it time to get the funding available for the Cherry Orchard Nature Reserve if so do we now get the following?

Each Queen Elizabeth II Field will receive a cast metal plaque indicating that it is part of the programme, along with a Royal Oak Sapling.

LINK

WildlifeRanger

• Regular poster
Re: Re: Funding for the Cherry Orchard Nature Reserve
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 04:17:02 PM »
I will make enquiries about the plaque and tree!

Heather

WildlifeRanger

• Regular poster
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 10:12:03 AM »
Hi Admin,
We have received the application forms for plaques on all the QEII sites from the Fields in Trust.  I am visitng each site with collegues to look at locations and costing the works on Friday 15th February.  If the Friends would like to suggest a location for us to look at when we visit that would be great.  I will feedback to the friends the results of our visit.

As regards celebrating the designation we would like to arrange a photo opportunity in March and we will be intouch nearer the time to make sure we are able to include and promote the friends as part of the press release.

Any questions let us know.
Thank you
regards
Warwick

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 12:35:22 PM »
Hi Warwick,

Personally I have would like it to be near the model train area.

Chris.

Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 03:30:13 PM »
I'd like the plaque and the Royal Oak sapling positioned near to the entrance to the nature reserve where the model engineer's are. This was always the official entrance to that part of Diglis Fields. I believe it was a footpath going back many hundreds of years when the LNR wasn't tipped on. On some maps you can see how, from that path there was access to all the strips of land that were there at that time.

It might be that an entrance frame (possibly an arch) be built and the plaque incorporated in it, high enough to prevent it being nicked and the Royal Oak sapling could be placed there also. I'll try and find the old map and post it here.

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 04:25:15 PM »
I think the much used access where the old style used to be by the miniature railway is the best place for the plaque.It will be seen and kept an eye on by hundreds of people passing by,and using the fields.

I suppose it goes without saying that it will have to be secured firmly to stop metal thieves helping themselves ::)

Look forward to meeting up there on Feb 15th. Let us know the time and at least one of the friends will be there.How exciting :)

susan

• Regular poster
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 10:44:33 PM »
I agree with both the Admin and Jaybee, best place for it. Many people pass this point and they will know that it's a LNR with QEll statues  and not just some piece of scrub land.

jerry

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 02:23:43 PM »
The entrance near the miniature railway please.  :)

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 02:13:30 PM »
Warwick has emailed me regarding the location of the plaque:

Hi Jaybee,

This site has proven a little more complicated than the others.  On our site visit we had a look at your proposed location for the plaque and agreed that it was a good geographical location, but with the fence condition, path surface etc it would look rather strange and out of place putting in a shiny new plaque at that location.  So I was thinking that I would order two plaques.  One to go in that entrance as part of the section 106 works, as and when the project evolves.  The other we thought of putting on the fingerpost which is halfway along the new cycleway/footpath from Waverley Street to the bridge, at the top of the bank once you turn left onto the nature reserve.  Let me know what you think of this idea.

regards

Warwick Neale

Cleaner & Greener City

Worcester City Council

Please post comments that you may have about warwicks proposal.

susan

• Regular poster
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 05:19:38 PM »
I keep hearing about this section 106 money.

• What is it?
  • When is it available?
  • How much will the project cost?
  • Exactly what is proposed for the project?
  • Is it only for the Cherry Orchard Nature Reserve?
  • Who will have a say in how it's spent?

Claire E

• Regular poster
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 06:20:58 PM »
Hi Susan. Cllr Denham was going to ask the council about this a couple of nights ago so hopefully she'll have some info for us soon. I don't think any of the rest of us are too clear on the details so probably best to wait until she next posts if that's OK.

Basically though Section 106 money comes to the council from developers as part of the planning agreement - in this case from Taylor Wimpey for Diglis Water. It will be made available in chunks over the next few years but I think someone from the council mentioned they may wait until the end of the period before using it so they can spend the whole lot in one go.

As far as we know there is nothing definite proposed so far. One idea is to refurbish the children's play area, another possibility is to improve the fencing.

We should be able to have a say in how it's spent through this website and Friends of Diglis Fields so have a think about what you'd like to see it used for!

Hope that helps!

jerry

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 04:30:37 PM »
Well I'm extremely disappointed by the decision to place the plaque in the postion mentioned by Warwick Neale!! First he asks us for our preference in the placement then ignores the community.

How much is a finger post? I guess not much, so why can't the plaque be sited on a new post at the entrance to the LNR near the miniature railway where lots of people will see it. I'll even donate a 4" x 4" metal anchor post and if needs be I'll throw in a wooden post.  >:(

susan

• Regular poster
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 04:44:12 PM »
I have to agree with jerry. To place the plaque in the proposed postion would be ludicrous. It needs to be where lots of people will see it, the folk who use the miniature railway and passers by, ie at the original entrance of the reserve.

I honestly don't see why a shiny new plaque would look out of place there and if it's on a finger post surely it will fit on a post which jerry has suggested.

I don't understand what the condition of the path has to do with anything either.

Warwick would you enlighten us with your proposed project for the reserve please?

What does it entail?

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 10:37:41 AM »
I think it's a good idea to have two plaques,one for the new path and one for the entrance next to the train field.

The one by the train field will certainly be seen by more people on a daily basis.

I must admit,I too find this 106 money pot very confusing,as do most people I've spoken to.

I know there is an enormous amount of money available,which will,if not applied for and used,goes back into the developers pockets.

There seems to have been little or nothing of 106 money spent on the nature reserve,so I reckon some renovated fencing along Waverley St,a tidy up of the entrance area and the posh plaque in place as soon as possible  is not a lot to ask.The rangers and volunteers have spent the last ten years knocking the reserve into a wonderful and peaceful area for all to enjoy.

Let's celebrate Cherry Orchard LNR's tenth anniversary in style and do the necessary work asap with this elusive 106 money :)

WildlifeRanger

• Regular poster
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 03:10:53 PM »
Thank you all for your comments regarding the position of the plaque(s).  To confirm will order the one plaque and we will fix it to a post sited near the model railway.  There is section 106 money from the development of diglis allocated to the playing fields and the nature reserve.  Unfortunately the panel monitoring the projects to spend the various section 106 monies has not met recently, but scheduled for next week, so I will let you know what the lastest news is regarding the Cherry Orchard as and when we know.  The Diglis Forum is viewed by the council as a major stakeholder for the land and will be involved in any decisions made.  Thanks everyone for your help to date.
Regards
Warwick