Author Topic: Litter pick - Saturday 15th March  (Read 2185 times)

Claire E

• Regular poster
Litter pick - Saturday 15th March
« on: February 24, 2014, 11:42:51 AM »
We are holding a litter pick on the playing fields on Saturday 15th March, meeting at 10am by the model railway. The event is being organised in conjunction with the Duckworth Trust who will provide all the tools and expertise (and coffee!).

We would like to concentrate on clearing amongst the scrub alongside the industrial estate boundary, but if anyone doesn't feel up to that there will be easier areas to cover too.

Please come along if you can, and if you are planning on being there it would be really helpful if you could leave a quick message here so we have an idea of numbers. Thank you!

jaybee

• Regular poster
Re: Litter pick - Saturday 15th March
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 01:45:56 PM »
I'll be there :)

Cllr Lynn Denham

• Regular poster
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 11:39:55 PM »
sorry, I can't manage this one.  Good luck to everyone else!

Claire E

• Regular poster
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 08:02:08 PM »
Many thanks to all the volunteers who turned out on a lovely sunny morning today to help tidy up the fields. James from the Duckworth Trust was brilliant as ever, providing all the equipment and disposing of the rubbish at the end of the event. And rubbish there certainly was, a truck and a half's worth, although most of this was collected from the scrub alongside the fence which we haven't attempted to do before. Our haul included a full suitcase, a bed, many bricks and the obligatory traffic cone and football.

Our younger volunteers were as enthusiastic as ever, and we were very pleased to welcome Robin Walker MP and Cllrs Simon Geraghty and Jabba Riaz who came to help out, so a special thank you to them. Thanks also to everyone else who gave up their time and worked very hard on a warm morning to help improve our surroundings.

Photos to follow, plus hopefully a report in the Worcester News later in the week  :)

Claire E

• Regular poster
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 08:00:16 PM »
From the Worcester News today:

Worcester's MP helps to tackle litter problem

2:17pm Wednesday 19th March 2014 in News

WORCESTER'S MP mucked in and helped a team of volunteers keep their community clean.

Robin Walker joined forces with the Friends of Diglis Fields and the Duckworth Worcestershire Trust during a litter pick around the playing fields off Diglis Road on Saturday March, 15, helping to remove half a truck load of rubbish in the process.

The MP was also joined by cllr Sim Geraghty and cllr Jabba Riaz.

Mr Walker said: ?I think it?s fantastic when local communities get together like this, take pride in the place that they live and help to make Worcester a better place for everyone.
Diglis Fields are a fantastic community amenity and I congratulate the Friends for all the good work they?re doing.?

Friends Chairman Francis Lankester said: "It was wonderful that people care about the Diglis Field and its surroundings-and get stuck in to help. It's always a pity to see our local green spaces spoiled by thoughtless litter louts, but the volunteers did a great job supported by the Duckworth Trust."

The Friends of Diglis Fields formed in September 2012 to help protect and improve Diglis Recreation Ground and the Cherry Orchard Local Nature Reserve.

The group has recently installed a new bench on the field and will shortly be adding another, donated by the Worcester South Rotary Club.

coop263

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 12:28:44 PM »
Hi Claire

Are there any more days you have set up for the litter picking.

Regards
Emma

Claire E

• Regular poster
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 06:18:08 PM »
Hi Emma,

Thanks very much for asking - we're hoping to set a date in June but we haven't got anything definite yet. I will post on here when we do, but you'd like to pm me your email address in the meantime I could add you to the Friends of Diglis Fields mailing list to make sure you hear about upcoming events.

All the best,

Claire.