Author Topic: Burglaries  (Read 3085 times)

christopher

• Regular poster
Burglaries
« on: November 13, 2013, 04:39:07 PM »
Latest up-date from Neighbourhood Watch. I have included this as four of the burglaries were our end of the city.

Police in Worcester are urging householders to take some simple step to tighten their home security following a series of burglaries in the city.

The advice comes after six homes ? two at the north end and four in the southern part of the city - were targeted over the weekend of Saturday 2 November and Sunday 3 November.

Sometime between 1pm and 8.45pm on the Saturday a large amount of gold jewellery, including a distinctive kite-shaped emerald and diamond ring valued at ?2,000 ? was taken from a home in St Dunstan?s Close. The burglars entered the property by smashing the back door.

Jewellery was also taken from a house in Southall Avenue sometime between 1.45pm and 9.45pm on the same day when burglars broke in by getting into the garage and forcing a UPVC door into the kitchen.

Sometime between 4.30pm and 7.45pm on the Saturday, thieves broke into a house on Sheringham Road, off Bath Road, Worcester, by smashing the back patio door. They stole the keys to a BMW and a VW car.

Later that evening at about 10pm the owner of a house in Badger Gardens, St Peters, found a man in his garden. The intruder had removed a 6ft fence panel to get in and had propped open the back gate.

He was seen crouching by the shed before running off. He was wearing a Khaki-coloured jacket and a hood covered his head.

A large quantity of jewellery was also taken from a house in Seymour Avenue sometime between 5.30pm on Saturday and 10am on Sunday. The thieves entered by forcing a rear window.

While sometime between 8pm on the Saturday and 11am on Sunday 3 November there was an attempted burglary at a house in Springfield Road, Worcester. The home owner discovered the lock on the garden gate had been forced and there were tool marks on the back door of the house.

Detective Constable Dan Fenn from Worcester CID said: ?Householders can do some simple and inexpensive things to help prevent burglary. It is important homes do not look unoccupied as we reach the darker evenings of autumn and winter.

?An unlit property can be a tell-tale sign that no one is home. People can leave on a light if it will be dark before they get home from work or a day out.

?One of the best ways to do this is by using timer switches which can be set to come on at a desired time.?

Other tips include locking doors, patios and windows, even when the home is occupied, and check them before going to bed.
If there is a burglar alarm, make sure it is set before going to bed.
Don?t leave car keys, ID cards or valuables near windows, doors or letterboxes, where they can be easily seen and reached.
Lock garden gates and side entrances. Don?t leave tools, which could be used to break into the home, lying around outside.

Further information can be found by visiting the West Mercia Police website www.westmercia.police.uk and click on Darker Nights burglary campaign.

Issued:  13 November 2013

christopher

• Regular poster
Re: Burglaries
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 04:10:49 PM »
Email received from West Mercia Police earlier today. Common sense but worth a reminder.

CHRISTMAS CRIME PREVENTION MESSAGE

WHEN OUT SHOPPING

1.     Never leave gifts on display in your car

2.     Try and do all your shopping in one go

3.     Be aware of your surroundings when you return to you car or home.

4.     If you must leave items in the car, hide them, in the boot or the glove box

5.     Fit an approved alarm to your car

KEEP IT SAFE

KEEP IT LOCKED

KEEP IT HIDDEN

AT HOME

1.     Try and place your Christmas tree out of sight  of street fronted windows

2.     Don't display gifts under the Christmas tree

3.     Where possible, leave the buying of expensive gifts ie TV's, Computers, IPODs, to the last moment.

4.     When out celebrating the festive season, use timer switches for lights and radios to give the impression someone is still at home. (Remember to close your curtains)

5.     Property mark all your new electrical  and valuable gifts,

6.     When Christmas is all over don't leave the boxes to your valuable gifts out by the rubbish bin, Take them directly to your local household recycling centre.

Steve Loveridge
Crime Prevention Officer

USEFUL NUMBERS
Police 101
Crimestoppers:  0800 555111

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 04:20:07 PM »
Latest incidents and reference numbers received from CSO Katie Griffiths today:

127s 110114 - Bath Road - Theft from Vehicle - Vehicle broken into and camera plus two laptops taken
164s 110114 - St Marks Close - Theft from Vehicle - Four hub caps stolen from vehicle
136s 110114 - Basin Road- Theft from vehicle - Sat Nav stolen
140s 110114 - Waverley Street- Theft from vehicle - Wheel caps stolen

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 08:44:48 PM »

0085s 280114 - Theft from vehicle - Cavendish Street- 4 Hubcaps Stolen between 5pm 27/01/14 & 7.20am 28/01/14

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 03:42:09 PM »
0064s 090714 - Between 00:00 & 06:00 a property on Diglis Lane has been entered through the kitchen window and items have been searched but nothing has been stolen.

0092s 090714 - Between 00:30 & 06:00 a pub located on Bath Road
has been broken into via the back door, no signs of forced entry were found. The gambling machine, juke box and pool table were all broken into and cash taken.

Eco Warrior

• Regular poster
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 10:57:08 PM »
Hi Christopher, you're obviously a man in the know. Can you explain to me how the pub referred to above (presumably The Albion) can be broken into yet no sign of a forced entry?

Genuine question, not trying to be clever just interested. Thanks

EW

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 09:17:10 AM »
Good morning Eco Warrior,

These updates 'are as is' with no explanation unfortunately. They are sent to me from the police as for my sins  ;) I'm registered with them as Neighbourhood Watch Co-Ordinator.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.  :(

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 12:07:38 PM »
Thinking about it...no sign of a forced entry usually means a window or door may have been left open?  :-\ 

Sam

• Regular poster
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 02:45:35 PM »
...or an inside job perhaps?

Eco Warrior

• Regular poster
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 08:41:55 PM »
Thanks Christopher appreciate the extra info.

As for you Sam, some would say that's a highly cynical remark, but I couldn't possibly comment.

Sam

• Regular poster
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 12:18:58 AM »
On the face of it some could see my remark as cynical but only if they read it as part of  an owner / manager scam.

On the other hand I did have in mind a customer who had spotted an opportunity to leave a latch off before kicking out time, however, I couldn't possibly say which of the two scenarios may be true if of course any prove to be valid. ;)

Eco Warrior

• Regular poster
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 03:19:16 PM »
Hi Sam, I must admit I hadn't thought of your second scenario. I've obviously led far too sheltered a life.
EW

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 04:17:58 PM »
Latest incident in our area:

VEHICLE CRIME - MEDINA HOUSE, DIGLIS DOCK ROAD, WORCESTER

Between Saturday 1900hrs and 01-Sep-2014 09:01 a vehicle has been damaged, front windscreen smashed.

0118S 010914