Author Topic: Flood  (Read 4441 times)

lankester2

• Regular poster
Re: Flood
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 11:49:38 AM »
Severn Trent have replied in these terms to Robin Walker MP , so they are clearly working hard

"As you're only too aware, Diglis and the surrounding area is suffering from major flooding problems, with much larger volumes of water than currently at Hylton Road for example.

We had a six inch pump on site all day yesterday with two further six inch pumps - and a 12 inch pump - being installed last night.  (This pump will be especially loud, so we're very sorry for any problems this may cause to your constituents).  And we're still looking at ways to get an even larger pump on site today.

With river levels predicted to rise still further, we're doing what we can to contain the situation until the levels and flows subside.

Our reactive teams are at the site visiting customers. We believe that so far up to 50-60 properties have been affected on Diglis Avenue and Portland Street.

Our teams have been out knocking on doors to understand the extent of our customers problems, trying to help and advise them as much as possible, explaining what we're doing and ensuring they know where to go for more information.

I haven't had any reports of sewage amongst the flood water, but due to the extent of the flooding, this is likely to be the case - I will get an update on this situation as quickly as possible and get back to you."

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 04:22:58 PM »
I used the steep alleyway today that runs from Bath Road down into Diglis Lane, another chap and his daughter were also using it as a short-cut. Would be great if the council could chuck some shingle down though to reduce the mud at the bottom?

Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 05:18:49 PM »
A warning regarding future development in the city. Mary Dhonau and local residents put in a lot of, highly successful, effort to the previous problems. Before that I remember her showing me the water coming up fast in her cellar and water was spouting from the drains along Waverley and Diglis Lane. It would be a tragedy for all that effort to be undermined.

This is the second year that the new pumping station which Mary Dhonau and local residents had insisted to be put in has failed. I think the cost was half a million pounds!

Cllr Lynn Denham

• Regular poster
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 10:07:02 PM »
Thanks to Jaybee for all the flood photos.

We have had the most appalling run of weather, storms and rainfall.  On Thursday 13th Feb the River Severn reached the same level as in July 2007, which is the highest ever recorded in Worcester.   All the prevention work that has been done since 2007 has made the situation in Worcester much better this year than it would otherwise have been.  It has still been pretty grim for too many people.

On Thursday, I was helping to check on a number of local homes.  Some residents in Portland Street were suffering from sewage flooding in their cellars which had come up through their floors and walls.  I called the Council incident room and Severn Trent arrived to sort out the situation.  Apparently, the 'new' tank had filled up and caused back flow because it was unable to discharge into the flooded river levels for such a long period.

The City Council is posting regular flood updates on the website at www.worcester.gov.uk.  If necessary the contact number for Severn Trent Water is 0800 783 4444.  Stay safe and take care.

Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 03:32:29 PM »
A warning regarding future development in the city. Mary Dhonau and local residents put in a lot of, highly successful, effort to the previous problems. Before that I remember her showing me the water coming up fast in her cellar and water was spouting from the drains along Waverley and Diglis Lane. It would be a tragedy for all that effort to be undermined.

This is the second year that the new pumping station which Mary Dhonau and local residents had insisted to be put in has failed. I think the cost was half a million pounds!

The following is the flooding on Waverley Street last year. You can see clearly that the flooded road was caused by the raw sewage bubbling up through the the manhole covers.

Northing's changed since then!

[embed=425,349]http://youtu.be/w0YljVcPRdI[/embed]