Author Topic: Volunteer Events on the Nature Reserve this winter  (Read 4206 times)

WildlifeRanger

• Regular poster
Volunteer Events on the Nature Reserve this winter
« on: November 06, 2013, 03:04:25 PM »
Hello and Happy New Year!

To help blow those festive cobwebs away, here?s a reminder that our annual Scrub Bash at Cherry Orchard Local Nature Reserve takes place this Sunday!

Cherry Orchard Scrub Bash - Cherry Orchard Local Nature Reserve

Sunday 12th January 10am til 1pm

Join the Wildlife Rangers and Friends of Diglis Fields for our annual "Scrub Bash" to help maintain and improve this popular Local Nature Reserve.
We will be cutting an area of hawthorn and bramble, and burning the cut material. Cutting a small area each year helps keep the balance of scrub and open grassland, both important habitats. No experience needed, tools provided. Please wear suitable outdoor clothing and sturdy footwear.
Booking not essential, but it helps us to bring enough tools and biscuits! Meet at the Model Railway on Waverley Street.
Free, book online

Regards,

Heather Bainbridge
Assistant Ranger - Worcester City Council
email: heather.bainbridge@worcester.gov.uk
customer service centre: 01905 722 233
address: Cleaner & Greener Services, Warndon Depot, Pershore Lane, Worcester, WR4 0AA

christopher

• Regular poster
Re: Volunteer Events on the Nature Reserve this winter
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 04:37:31 PM »
Hi Heather,

Niki and I also intend to donate another Cherry tree to plant.

:)

Annie_blue

• Regular poster
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 08:46:29 PM »
Hi,

I would really like to get involved in these days but would like to know if it is ok to bring my 2 children. They are aged 13 and 9. They would also like to get involved.

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 09:22:58 AM »
Hi Annie _blue.Children are more than welcome.At the beginning of each event,the Rangers go through the safety rules and show us all how to use tools in a safe way.It might be best to book in as the Rangers need to know numbers etc,but sometimes people just turn up or even join in if they happen to be passing by.Look forward to seeing you there on 8th Dec?

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 09:29:05 AM »
St Peter's Garden Centre have kindly donated three native fruit trees to be planted on the nature reserve,hopefully on December 8th on the volunteer day.Homebase have also donated a cherry tree,and this will be planted at the same time.We have checked that the fruit from these trees will be suitable for the wildlife on the reserve.As the fruit drops,it will help feed wildlife during the winter months when food is scarce.

A big thank you to St Peters and Homebase for their contribution.It's much appreciated.

All welcome to come and help plant the trees on 8th  :)

WildlifeRanger

• Regular poster
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 12:17:38 PM »
Hi folks,

That's great about those extra trees! Chris, do you know what variety of Cherry you have? We're thinking about putting the apple towards the centre of the reserve, and the others on the area at the end of the model railway, so they will be visible from the playing fields too - does this sound OK to you?

Just to get an idea of numbers, could you please let me know if you are likely to attend on the 8th December? We have 2 "official" bookings, but it sounds like there are a few more coming too :)

Annie_blue, yes your children are most welcome to attend, as long as they are accompanied by a responsible adult! We can tailor some tasks to suit them, but the tree planting should be fine anyway.

regards,

Heather
Assistant Ranger

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 04:06:45 PM »
Hi Heather,

It's a "Morello" cherry tree, is that ok?

We intend to be there too to help out.

:)

Claire E

• Regular poster
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 06:37:10 PM »
Hi Heather, my husband and I will be there too but I can't get the code right to register on the parks website, sorry  :(

WildlifeRanger

• Regular poster
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 08:38:23 AM »
Thanks folks, that's 6 people confirmed so far for the 8th.

Hi Chris, though the Morello isn't a native cherry species, it will be suitable for the area at the end of the railway, thanks!

Sorry you had problems with the booking form Claire, occasionally it seems to have problems that I can't pin down, hopefully we should have a shiny new events listings page soon, so there won't be the same problem in the future.

regards,

Heather

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 09:44:04 AM »
I'll be there too :)

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 05:07:22 PM »
Don't forget the Scrub Bash on 12th Jan 2014...details posted further back.The rangers usually build a good bonfire so you won't be cold.The exercise will do you good,after all that Christmas pud ;)

Claire E

• Regular poster
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 09:46:32 PM »
I'm not going to be able to make it to the scrub bash I'm afraid, got no babysitter this time. I hope it goes well, might try and pop along to say hi if I can.

Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 10:46:11 PM »
You don't need a baby sitter Claire, All children are welcome and there are enough things to keep them occupied while the others get on doing the bash. I hope you can make it. :)

WildlifeRanger

• Regular poster
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 10:14:51 AM »
Hi all, Happy New Year!

Just a reminder about the Scrub Bash this Sunday - the main details are below. You can let us know you are coming by posting on here, or using the online booking form.

Please be aware that this activity will involve a bonfire and use of sharp tools, so will not be suitable for young children. Older children are welcome under the supervision of a parent or guardian.

Bring some sturdy leather gloves if you have them, as we will be handling some prickly plants!

Cherry Orchard Scrub Bash- Cherry Orchard Local Nature Reserve

Sunday 12th January 10:00 -13:00

Join us for our annual "Scrub Bash"  - We will be cutting an area of hawthorn and bramble, and burning the cut material. Cutting a small area each year helps keep the balance of scrub and open grassland, both important habitats. No experience needed, tools provided. Please wear suitable outdoor clothing and sturdy footwear.

Booking not essential, but it helps us to bring enough tools and biscuits! Meet at the Model Railway on Waverley Street.

Free, book online at www.worcester.gov.uk/parks

regards,

Heather

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 11:31:23 AM »
I'll be there,and I think Gail will be too. :)