Author Topic: Memory Lane  (Read 2823 times)

Admin

• Administrator
Memory Lane
« on: October 19, 2013, 05:18:03 PM »
Miss Salter's class 1957

Mrs. Knight's class 1957

Anybody recognise themselves?

jaybee

• Regular poster
Re: Memory Lane
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 05:32:20 PM »
Yes,and I know the names of some of the others at Cherry Orchard School,which was then in the old building between Cavendish St and Orchard St :)

gsullivan

• Regular poster
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 08:58:59 PM »
I'll have to show my dad these, he might remember some of the kids! He went to Cherry orchard too, lived right by the school when he was at home. Still lives locally, just not Cavendish Street!  :)

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 09:27:33 AM »
Be good if he still has some old school photos.

I can remember most of the names of the kids in my class,so will put them on here soon.It might jog a few memories.

Amazing how you can remember names from many years ago,but not what you had for supper last night!

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 01:34:04 PM »
Mrs Knights class 1957.

Top row left to right;

Clive Cogan,Andrew Prosser,Barry Harris,Michael Smith?,Brian Sampson,David Sefton,Stuart Dunning,
Dennis.....? Christine.....?Robin Hemmings,Christine Downes.

Middle row left to right;

Margaret........,Kenny Smith?Lynne Allen,Carole Ryder,Gary Damari,Robert Bennett,Roy.......? John Haywood,Peter Hayes,Kathryn Saunders.

Bottom row left to right;

Jane Weaver,Jackie Bowen,Janet Evans,Marlene Newton,Lorraine Essex,Linda Nicholas,Margaret Ford,Diane Corbett,Susan North.

gsullivan

• Regular poster
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 09:53:30 PM »
I don't think he has photos but probably would recognise a few faces!

RichWorcs

• Regular poster
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 07:11:03 PM »
Hello I have found some old pgotos. How do I post them on here (not the easiest site to use)

Cheers! Rich.

Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 10:47:42 PM »
Hi Rich

You can either upload them to photo bucket and grab the image code then paste it in your reply or you can send them to me via email and I'll upload them to photo bucket
and paste it for you.

Grab the code with the [IMG] xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[ /IMG] probably the best way.

RichWorcs

• Regular poster
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 12:24:24 PM »
Hi Admin,

I tried and it didn't work..... So I've added a few to the Diglis Community Facebook page if you want to copy them over from there.

Rich
  :)

Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 02:44:13 PM »
Hi Rich

Many thanks for the photo's, I can still smell the basin when it was windshields of Worcester. What a mess the area was!

Withybed cottage

Diglis basin before development01

Diglis basin before development02

Diglis basin before development03

The train photo is already on the site under the miniature railway topic.

RichWorcs

• Regular poster
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 02:52:44 PM »
Yes.... It was a bit of a dump when I was a kid growing up there (I'm 30). Would be interested to find out where the Withybed Cottage actually stood! Also to see any more historical links and photos pertaining to the Cheery Orchard & Diglis area.

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 04:08:50 PM »
Good photos Rich.I remember Windshields of Worcester very well.The basin used to pong,but the pong from Windshields was even worse,a sort of acrid smell.It must have been an awful place to have to work.We used to walk home from town if the 'bus didn't turn up,and we always dreaded going past the Anchor,as there were usually blokes bellowing and tottering about outside,and then there was Windshields to get past! This was back in the 1950's.

I sort of remember Withybed Cottage,but can't place exactly where it was.If you look at the photo,there is a hill behind to its right,which indicates to me that it was just on the right as you went over Duck Brook.The hill would be what is now St Marks Close housing estate.

However,to the left of the cottage,you can see what appears to be houses....on the Bath Road?So perhaps the cottage was on the left as you crossed Duck Brook via a wonderfully ornate bridge knocked down in the late fifties to make way for a bridge to allow lorries etc to deliver to the building site(now St Marks Close).
I would say that the cottage was certainly near to Duck Brook.There was a small piggery on the left as you go into the nature reserve entrance,and as you went over Duck brook and turned right towards the river,there was on the right of the present path,a ramshackle row of brick and wood buildings,which housed chickens and a couple of pigs,possibly attached to the cottage.The chickens and pigs were kept by a family called the Dinhams who eventually emigrated to South Africa in the early '60's.

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 09:34:01 AM »
Withybed Cottage is intriguing me now! I've looked at a 1928 map and there is no sign of any building that could be this cottage.However,the map only goes as far as halfway into the withybeds,and so i think the cottage may have been further in.If you take the footpath from Duck Brook bridge,keeping the St Marks houses on your left,you will come to the wooden footbridge on your right.Walk past this and after about 100 yards you turn immediately right onto the river bank.Just before you turn right there used to be some sort of building to the left of the footpath,so it may have been the cottage.
When we were kids(a rough and ready lot) we called that area Bluebell Wood.It was always well fenced off,but we managed to get in at the St Marks Close end,but it was too overgrown to get as far as the cottage or whatever the building was.
We'd pick Bluebells in the wood,but the bloke who lived in one of the big houses at the top..Barneshall Av? used to come out and chase us off.On a couple of occasions he'd fire some sort of gun,hopefully into the air,and we'd scarper,but we always went back for more next time.Nowadays if something like that happened,they'd have a SWAT team out!

RichWorcs

• Regular poster
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 03:15:10 PM »
Can you see the old maps online?

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 03:38:37 PM »
I looked at the map some years ago at the records office, I believe they are at the Hive now.