Author Topic: Orchids - now you see them...  (Read 5459 times)

WildlifeRanger

• Regular poster
Orchids - now you see them...
« on: June 17, 2013, 11:59:26 AM »
...now you don't :(

Sadly, we have had a report that some of the orchid flowers on the Nature Reserve have been picked.

"[Last week] I came across a small clump of orchids looking great in the sunshine, in the evening [...] to my horror they had been picked or more like neatly cut with scissors someones now watching them die in a vase depriving everyone else of the pleasure of seeing them in the wild. Lots of sad people about."

Whilst the species present on the Reserve are not the rarest orchids, they're still not all that common as plants, as they are very fussy about where they thrive and germinate. It is illegal to uproot any wild plant without permission, but even just picking these less common flowers will have an effect on their survival and spread.

I'm pretty sure it was no one who uses this forum, but if you happen to spot someone thinking about putting them in a vase, perhaps you could let them know (politely) that they'll do much better where they are...

More info:

The Wildlife and Coutryside Act (1981): http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/69/section/13

Plantlife: http://www.plantlife.org.uk//about_us/faq/is_it_illegal_to_pick_common_wildflowers_in_the_countryside/

There's lots of info here about the orchid species found on the reserve too, see if you can identify them!

Heather

jaybee

• Regular poster
Re: Orchids - now you see them...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 04:31:38 PM »
Well,I for one am spitting tacks over the thoughtless moron who did this.We've all enjoyed seeing the orchids growing on the reserve over the years,and now that pleasure has been taken away from everyone.

Sorry my reaction is a bit strong,but that's the way I feel about it >:(

Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 04:44:09 PM »
The person who cut these orchid's are mindless idiots. They have no regard to anybody or anything and should be throughly ashamed of themselves!!  >:(

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 06:59:05 PM »
It would appear there are more "Numpties" about than I first imagined!

>:(

susan

• Regular poster
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 10:44:33 PM »
I occasionally pick flowers from my own garden but was always told, growing up, that it was wrong to pick wild flowers on the grounds that 'if everyone did it, there would be none left'.

I think the person who picked the orchids must have had a very poor upbringing and I just hope they haven't bred. >:(

jerry

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 11:38:17 PM »
I hope their rear end festers and takes six months to come to a head.  :(

susan

• Regular poster
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 07:08:08 PM »
jerry you had me laughing my head off at that remark. ;D

Annie_blue

• Regular poster
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 06:55:40 PM »
Saw some more orchids today. Not sure what kind (not got to id them yet) however, when I went to photo them it was clear that others had been cut. Its a real shame, looks like the person/people doing it are still about!

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 09:41:39 AM »
Grrr....this makes me so mad.  >:( I'll contact the rangers who have indicated they'll put signs up...perhaps we can save the remainder.

KeithM

• Regular poster
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 04:08:21 PM »
That's assuming the morons can read.

dubriba

• Regular poster
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 06:08:33 PM »
So true Keith .. I doubt they can tie their own shoelaces either!

WildlifeRanger

• Regular poster
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 09:06:09 AM »
Thank you Jaybee for your email, I have made some small signs which we will put on the reserve today.

regards,

Heather Bainbridge
Assistant Ranger, Worcester City Council

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 07:49:26 PM »
Thanks Heather.let,s hope it has the desired effect.....

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 04:58:47 PM »
The rangers have reluctantly had to put up signs to ask people not to pick what's left of the orchids.They don't like having to put signs up,but have no choice really.

susan

• Regular poster
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 05:34:11 PM »
I saw evidence of a campsite in the reserve on Monday, no tent but they had left litter and a burnt section of grass.

The Wildlife Rangers cleared the rubbish, well done them.

Could be kids I suppose but what can be done? The real problem would be if it was very dry over there and they accidentally set the reserve on fire!