Author Topic: Footballers rubbish  (Read 11232 times)

jerry

Re: Footballers rubbish
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2014, 03:52:35 PM »
I actually watched a game on the Diglis Fields today and have to say it was one of the best matches I have watched for a long time; no swearing, no one changing in the street, no threatening behaviour to any of the Diglis residents and certainly no litter.

All in all a damn good game and a pleasure to watch.

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2014, 04:03:48 PM »
Just checked footy fields after Kings games.As usual no litter on any pitch.

dubriba

• Regular poster
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2014, 04:08:34 PM »
Now I'm sure that the Kings School will pick up and dispose of any litter that they drop whilst at the venue !! However, one or two of you may wish to visit the playing fields and make sure - as you regularly do after Worcester League matches have taken place there.

As we have worked so hard to get on top of the litter problem on Sunday mornings, I don't want our teams getting the blame for any mess left by Kings !!

I can almost taste the sarcasm in this post!

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2014, 04:29:28 PM »
I know one of the games teachers at King's and have spoken to him about this a while ago. Believe me, they wouldn't want to mess with him!  ;)

Tim Phillips

• Regular poster
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2014, 04:41:55 PM »
Sarcasm Dubriba  :o Good Lord No ! As an upstanding ex-Kings School pupil myself, I would expect nothing more than top behaviour from the current crop of pupils and from the posts since the first match finished today, we would appear to have got it ! :)

Tim Phillips

• Regular poster
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2014, 08:50:20 PM »
Hi everyone,

Well it's now 2 June as I write this and our football season ended on 18 May. Earlier in the season, there was, quite rightly, a lot of comment about rubbish being left behind by our football teams. We as a League tackled this problem head on and I would like to think that by the end of the season, we were on top of it. The fact that there were no postings after February complaining about litter would suggest that we were ? There is no doubt whatsoever that litter dropping is a disease of Society these days, I regularly undertake a litter pick of my own in Oldbury Lane every week when dog walking as I can't stand the sight of a mess !

I'd just like to re-assure residents of Diglis and particularly those who use the playing fields, that when Worcester League football returns in September, albeit on probably one less pitch ! that we will continue our efforts to ensure that the playing fields are left tidy after matches. If we do get any problems, the please come to me first and I promise they will be addressed immediately.

A big thank you to all those who have helped improve relations between the local community and the footballers. I know there are still one or two thorny issues such as parking and I hope that everyone will work together to try and solve these problems in the future.

Kind regards,

Tim Phillips
Secretary - McDonald's Worcester & District Football League

Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2014, 04:55:24 PM »
Hello Tim

Thank you for posting and keeping the Diglis community up to date on how you are dealing with the recent problems with the football players.

I agree that there hasn't been any more reports of rubbish being left behind after matches and as you indicate we all hope that this continues in the future. Your reassurance that you will continue with your efforts that the playing fields are left tidy after matches next season is hopefull.

I also agree that there are one or two thorny problems to sort out, parking being the the main one. On the concept plans it shows that the steering committee are thinking of parking bays which will cut into the playing fields along Diglis Lane and Waverley Street. The residents who have been in touch with Diglis.com have all indicated that this would not be a good thing. It would mean a loss of a large part of the playing fields.

The alternative parking put forward would be the newly vacated area that was Elliot's storage patch. This area would be large enough to accommodate all of the footballers cars and give them some privacy to change their kits in also, and is already owned by Worcester City Council.

Would you be able to support this proposal?

Tim Phillips

• Regular poster
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2014, 12:35:30 PM »
We as a League would absolutely support the proposal to use the old 'Elliot's storage patch' for football parking. We agree with the residents entirely that parking bays should not be made by cutting into the playing fields. Once you have lost any green space then you will never get it back !

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2014, 08:36:13 PM »
Must say,i agree with all the above.Would it be possible,if the old Elliots depot were to be used,for the footballers to have a portaloo for which they would have a key?This would save an awful lot of running to the edge of the field in full view of all to relieve themselves,not a pleasant site first thing on a Sunday morning,when enjoying a walk with the grandchildren.......

Also,I spoke to someone the other day who complained about the foul language used by the footballersThey suggested something called a "respect line",but they were a bit vague about what it actually was,so can anyone explain it to me please?

KeithM

• Regular poster
« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2014, 07:26:03 PM »
Hi Jaybee, A 'respect line' is a marked area somewhere around the pitch in which spectators with children or anyone who does not want to witness bad language etc stands, this is usually marked by painted lines, ropes or fencing, football managers, trainers etc usually stand at the opposite side to the respect line so that any bad language cannot be heard, teams are also told to 'respect the line' and not swear when shouting to team mates. But to be honest a touch of respect and decency should be shown by the sportsmen and they should hang their heads in shame that a 'line' should have to be drawn at all.

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2014, 11:50:44 AM »
Thanks for that Keith;it sounds like a good idea for Diglis fields as many folk won't use the fields on a Sunday morning if the footballers are there because of the bad language.I have a bit of a cuss myself from time to time,but I don't stand in the middle of the field to do it....

Be interesting to see what Tim (Phillips) thinks of a "respect line".

Tim Phillips

• Regular poster
« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2014, 09:51:32 AM »
Good Morning everyone,

What we're talking about here are 'Respect Barriers' which are more akin to Youth Football. They were brought in a few years ago in an attempt to control the behaviour of parents more than anything, some of which behave horrendously whilst watching their children. It's usually the ones who haven't played the game themselves and try to play the matches 'through their sons', who are usually totally embarrassed by their parents win at all costs attitudes and bad behaviour.

These barriers do have the effect of keeping spectators back from the touchlines, but I have to say it has little effect on the general behaviour of said spectators. I'm a member of the County FA Disciplinary sub-committee and have to tell you that the number of cases in youth football is sadly on the increase, from the lads themselves, their coaches and of course the unruly parents. Reasons for that ? Well we could have a long debate on that, but just have a look at your TV on a regular basis and see what examples of bad behaviour there are at the highest level of the game. I write this after the latest Louis Suarez incident - is it any wonder that the kids of today copy the behaviour of the so called role models ?

Anyway, getting back to foul language  on the Diglis Playing Fields, or any other venues that Worcester League teams play on, all clubs are continuously reminded of their responsibilities to behave and conduct themselves in a proper manner. Sadly in this day and age you're never going to totally wipe out foul language from some people, it just comes natural to them in some of the environments they live in. However, referees are instructed to do something about it on the day and I don't think it's a major problem.

Without conducting a witch hunt against Worcester League teams who play on Diglis, if any resident is unhappy about any level of behaviour, then please don't hesitate to contact me with full details and I promise you I'll look into it.

Regards,

Tim