Author Topic: Scorched earth policy?  (Read 3393 times)

jaybee

• Regular poster
Scorched earth policy?
« on: April 07, 2013, 10:07:43 AM »
I did my butterfly survey on Sat 6th April....only 8 degrees;saw no butterflies.They don't come out until the temperature is 10 degrees and who can blame them?Towards the end of the sunny day, spotted a lovely fresh Red Admiral in my garden which overlooks the reserve,so they are starting to emerge.

Good to be out on the reserve again...I did notice that there had been several controlled fires covering quite large areas.Is this a newly adopted method of scrub control,or is there an arsonist about?

Spotted a green woodpecker,and a buzzard being mobbed by a crow.Lot of bird activity at present,but I'm hopeless at identifying them :)

Piles of rubbish fly tipped within the entrance area of the reserve in St Marks Close,so I emailed customer services and hopefully it will be removed shortly.

Claire E

• Regular poster
Re: Scorched earth policy?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 09:02:39 PM »
Wow hadn't seen this for myself yet - the fire engines were there putting a fire out in the week but I don't know if it was accidental or deliberate.

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 09:55:04 AM »
As I walked round the reserve on Saturday,I kept finding small piles of fresh wood shavings,which I thought was utterly bizarre..........

I saw nothing of any fire engines,but did see smoke at one stage,but thought it was the rangers having one of their bonfires.

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 01:55:18 PM »
Should be quiet again next week  8)

WildlifeRanger

• Regular poster
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 02:58:08 PM »
Hi folks,

It wasn't us!

Trev and I visited the Reserve yesterday, and saw the damage. We enquired with the Police and Fire Brigade, and discovered that the Fire Brigade had been called out on the 3rd April, but they wouldn't give any more details unless we write to them. We have now reported the incident to the police, so if anyone has any information could they phone it in to the 101 number? The incident number is 355S080413

While the fire could benefit the flora Reserve in the long term, it is obviously a great concern if people are setting uncontrolled fires in an area that the public, including children, have access to. I also noticed some small piles of sawdust jaybee, one was on the road verge on Waverley street, so worrying if this was intended to start a fire...  :-\

regards,
Heather
Wildlife Ranger

WildlifeRanger

• Regular poster
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 03:00:55 PM »
Re the fly tipping -we inspected it yesterday too, and as it has addresses in it we have passed it on to our enforcement officers. When they let us know they have the evidence they need, we will return to clear the rubbish.

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 03:04:53 PM »
I trust the fly-tippers will be fined? Or better still, some community litter-picking service?

WildlifeRanger

• Regular poster
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 03:12:04 PM »
If the evidence is sufficient, they will be given the option of a fine or clearing it up themselves, most choose the fine! We will also be putting up a reminder notice not to dump rubbish outside the skip days/times (3rd Saturday of each month, 8am til 11:30am or 12pm, depending on when the last skip is full)

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 04:44:14 PM »
From what I saw this morning when I went to see if the rubbish was still there,the woman has left her entire life story to be found...bank statements,ISA statements,car registration documents,even what is possibly a photo of herself.I've taken photos just to be sure......but left the mess in situ for the enforcement officers to see >:(

This fire starting is a bit strange,especially as there are odd little piles of wood shavings carefully placed all over the reserve,and in Waverley St......

Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 05:12:20 PM »

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 08:31:03 AM »
Seems very odd that someone would leave that sort of info lying about.
Perhaps it's the reamains of a break-in?

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 10:02:49 AM »
Then the thief must have stolen old makeup,toilet bags,hairbrushes,used cottonwool,a blouse,a shoe,tissues(used),something unpleasant and unidentifiable,empty toiletry bottles etc.
No accounting for taste I suppose.

susan

• Regular poster
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 12:05:59 AM »
Have the police been informed? Perhaps the person in question is laying dead in her house and the dumping of the possessions may have been a plea for help.

WildlifeRanger

• Regular poster
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 04:08:46 PM »
It is possible that the person(s) named on the documention may not have actually dumped the rubbish, they could be a former resident of the address. We sometimes find landlords have cleared out possessions abandoned by previous tenants.

Heather

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 02:46:44 PM »
Good point.If that is the case,then the landlord must surely be held responsible?