Author Topic: Butterfly survey  (Read 1442 times)

jaybee

• Regular poster
Butterfly survey
« on: March 28, 2013, 11:48:03 AM »
I expect many of you have seen on the national news that last year was a dreadful one for butterflies,due mainly to the very wet weather. The survey I do every week from early March up to November if the weather is good has followed the national trend.All my results are sent to the Rangers,who in turn send them to the national data base.

I usually start seeing butterflies in early March if the temperature gets to 10 or 11c,which it did on  Tuesday March 5th when I spotted a male Brimstone (very bright yellow) on the reserve,but that's the only one I've seen this year,due to the cold spell.

If you do see a butterfly on the reserve,please post here,even if you can't identify it,a description will do :)

susan

• Regular poster
Re: Butterfly survey
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 07:10:32 PM »
I did read that because of the super summer there were record numbers of butterflies, is this true?

If so it goes to show how resilient nature is doesn't it?

jaybee

• Regular poster
Re: Butterfly survey
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 05:33:42 PM »
2013 was certainly a better year for butterflies than recent previous years,when results have been worryingly bad.

We have already started this years survey,yesterday to be precise,when Gail,a volunteer new to the survey, did the first of the year.She reported seeing nothing,but today now the sun has warmed things up
 nicely, I've seen a Peacock and a male Brimstone fluttering around in my garden.

Butterflies don't come out much unless the temperature is over 10C.If you do see a butterfly on the reserve please post here,even a description will do,and  we can record it.