Author Topic: Last night's first public meeting at the Anchor Pub  (Read 2720 times)

christopher

• Regular poster
Last night's first public meeting at the Anchor Pub
« on: November 23, 2012, 09:49:47 AM »
Despite inclement weather, a very encouraging turn-out. Many thanks to everyone who attended for your knowledge, comments, suggestions and making it a success.

:D

jaybee

• Regular poster
Re: Last night's first public meeting at the Anchor Pub
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 12:45:32 PM »
I'd like to say a huge thank you to all the people who turned out in the most awful weather to come to the first public meeting.The committee are so grateful for all the ideas,advice,suggestions and sheer enthusiasm from everyone there; we learned a great deal from you and look forward working with you in the near future.

I hope you didn't feel you were being ushered out of the meeting too quickly;it would have been good to stay and talk for longer,but we had promised to be out of the room by 8.30 to make way for another group.

Several locals,who turned up will be hopefully joining the committee.

Thanks to the two police officers who found time to come,also Simon Geraghty leader of Worcester City Council who came at very short notice.

Warwick Neale  Community Engagement Manager for Cleaner & Greener Services at Worcester City Council came despite being on paternity leave.

Lynn Denham Labour councillor was present,as were two gentlemen from the Diglis Trains.

Jo and Richard from the soon to be opened "Cheeky Monkeys" in Orchard St braved the weather too. 

Again,a huge thank you for your support.We will be posting details of the meeting shortly. :)

Claire E

• Regular poster
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 07:53:28 PM »
Thanks from me too, it was brilliant to get all that support for our first public meeting. I'll be back soon with a summary of what went on.  :)

Claire E

• Regular poster
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 05:49:19 PM »
So in brief, 18 of us braved the weather on Thursday night which was a fantastic turn out for our first public meeting. Several others sent their apologies.

We discussed the work the committee has done so far, making contacts within the council and other local organisations. More cards advertising diglis.com have been distributed and a draft letter requesting funding has been prepared.

We discussed the draft constitution and agreed that we should be more specific about other local organisations we hope to work with.

We talked about short and long term improvements we hope to make to the area. Warwick Neale is going to liaise with others at the council regarding renovating the benches. In the spring we hope to hold a bulb planting event if the council is agreeable. Further in the future we would like improve the playground and perhaps add a new one for older children at the 'henge' end of the field. Worcester & District model engineers said they would like to replace their building and incorporate toilets, changing facilities and a meeting room in the new premises. We ran out of time to discuss all the ideas which have been suggested so will have to come back to this another time!

We hope to hold a star party on the field in February - this would be a free event open to all ages. If the weather is unkind there will be a free talk on astronomy indoors instead.

We hope to hold bric a brac sales to coincide with the model engineers' running days through the summer - if you have any suitable items please hold on to them for us!

We thought a quiz night or similar in the Anchor would be a good way to raise some funds - would anyone be interested in attending an event like this?

We may hold a summer fete on the field - details to be announced! If anyone has any experience of organising something like this or has any ideas about things to include please let us know.

County Council Leader Cllr Simon Geraghty kindly attended the meeting at very short notice to explain about the work to the verge on Diglis Lane. The proposed work was funded by the developer as part of a project to improve footpaths in the area. There had been no consultation with the county or city councils or with residents prior to the work starting, so when Cllr Geraghty was informed about it he requested it be suspended. All that will be done now is to complete an area of hard standing around the traffic lights, anything else will be subject to further consultation. Cllr Geraghty is going to study the terms of the agreement with the developer and see what other uses the money could be put to, but it is ring fenced for footway work so will have to be something similar, although hopefully in a different place! There is a possibility it could be used to resurface the existing footpath on the other side of the road.

To ease traffic and parking issues Cllr Geraghty has asked the highways dept to look into putting single yellow lines along the field side of Diglis Lane but this will take 12-18 months to come into effect. He has also extended the parking time from 45 minutes to 2 hours on Diglis Road. The committee thanked Cllr Geraghty for listening to our concerns and responding so quickly.

Sorry to go on but it was a packed meeting! Hope I haven't bored you all to tears and any comments / suggestions are very welcome. Date of the next meeting to be agreed.

jerry

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 05:09:03 PM »
It reads like you had a very positive first meeting. Congratulations to you all.

Cllr Geraghty is going to study the terms of the agreement with the developer and see what other uses the money could be put to, but it is ring fenced for footway work so will have to be something similar,

Reading the above, how about some of the money being spent on a breathable mesh mat walk way all around the playing fields and possibly in to the nature reserve? I have seen this idea in loads of locations and they work extremely well. If such a path were laid out this would accommodate wheel chair users, baby buggies or just to walk on when the ground is wet through.

http://www.grass-reinforcement.com/index.php/products/description/safety-rubber-matting

Claire E

• Regular poster
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 10:19:21 PM »
Thanks jerry, that's a good idea. I will forward it to Cllr Geraghty.

Claire E

• Regular poster
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 10:06:11 PM »
Cllr Geraghty doesn't seem to be going with jerry's idea despite my best efforts. He seems to be under the impression it may interfere with the mowing equipment although it is used in many other areas apparently without any problems.

He says 'I'm currently talking to the County Council about what we can use the developer contribution for and ideally would like to see a programme of resurfacing those sections of existing footway in the worst condition. This would improve the existing paths whilst not creating any further maintenance liabilities for the future. Will let you know how I get on once these discussions are concluded.'

It has been pointed out that the upkeep of pavements is what we pay our taxes for and that the developer contribution ought really to be used for additional projects, but not having got anywhere after a couple of emails I don't want to push it any further considering Cllr Geraghty stuck his neck out for us in the first place by getting the work on the verge stopped. The pavement really does need to be done by someone and I feel this would be a reasonably positive outcome and certainly better than having to return the money to the developer.

Cllr Geraghty emailed again to say 'I've been working with Highways on an update for residents and yourselves which will outline what we are proposed for the highways element of the developer contribution. Hopefully this will reassure residents and be well recieved.'

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 11:29:12 AM »
Personally, I'd rather have path improvements and not mesh-matting. 

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 04:22:31 PM »
Yes,I want the pavement improved,paid for by the city council,not by the developer contribution.For the developer to pay for pavement repairs would be morally wrong,and probably legally wrong too.

I'm all for the developer money to go towards the mesh crete on the fields,it would open up the fields for use by so many more people in all weather conditions,and with new benches in place will be a pleasure to walk through.

Claire,I see what you mean about not wanting to get on Simon Geraghty's wick before we've got to know him.Perhaps it might be wise to wait until we see what he does with the consultancy before pressing the issue again.We could always put it high on the agenda at the next committee meeting,and invite him along again.If he doesn't come ,then email him and tell him we've decided that the grass crete is a good idea and what does he intend doing about it?.......... ;)

jerry

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 03:50:30 PM »
He says 'I'm currently talking to the County Council about what we can use the developer contribution for and ideally would like to see a programme of resurfacing those sections of existing footway in the worst condition. This would improve the existing paths whilst not creating any further maintenance liabilities for the future. Will let you know how I get on once these discussions are concluded.'

Cllr Geraghty seems to be wanting to use the developers money and not the tax payers money in order to save the Highways Department money!! That's not how my understanding of how the developers money should be spent. The developers lorries and plant have been constantly using Diglis lane for many years resulting in a pot hold Diglis Lane, they should pay for these repairs not take them out of the section 106 funds. It states clearly that these funds are for the improvement of the amenities of the Diglis area, after all it is the residents who have had to suffer the congestion, noise and dust  for many years as the flats were being built.

Taylor Wimpey shouldn't let the council use the section 106 money to save the County Council money, they have plenty of money stashed away.

I don't see what the objection is about not allowing an access path for disabled people to enjoy the fields! Isn't there a responsibility for the Council to make all public areas accessible to all sections of society?

Kreed

• Regular poster
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 05:20:49 PM »
I agree with jerry, the money should be spent on community projects. A mesh track inside the Diglis fields will be helpful for wheel chair users and buggies. I've seen and used these tracks and there's no problem with them what so ever.

All the mower man has to do is adjust his cutters and they do that all the time when mowing grass.

susan

• Regular poster
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 11:01:10 PM »
Of the same opinion as the two previous posters.

Motiok

• Regular poster
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 10:33:24 PM »
Hi Everyone

I received a letter today from Simon Geraghty re footpath.

Disappointed to learn the work has stopped. My husband and I thought it was a good idea and until this letter had not heard of this group, despite living on Diglis Lane for 3 years

Would it be a good idea to include all Diglis Lane residents so you get a rounded view rather then only certain members?

I am sure good work is done and the idea is right but perhaps the group could be more open and advertised for all us residents to attend if we wish?

Thanks

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 11:50:29 AM »
Hello Motiok,

Thanks for posting.We started Diglis.com back in July this year,and I posted business cards along Diglis Lane so everyone could access the site.We covered most of Diglis ,Cherry Orchard,until we ran out of cards! We felt that we were all getting differing rumours about what would happen to the Diglis Fields should the land be taken for other purposes.The Cherry Orchard Local Nature Reserve was awarded  the Queen Elizabeth 2nd Jubilee Playing Fields status in perpetuity,but when we asked if the same could be done for the Diglis Playing Fields we were told that it was not possible.I won't go into detail here,but one of our regular posters Kreed is still digging out details about the use of the fields,so you can go and look at what he/she has posted.

Other people had concerns about what might happen,and Christopher,now treasurer came up with the idea of forming "Friends of Diglis Fields",so that's what we did,and space on Diglis.com was allotted to the "Friends of Diglis Fields group".

There are now 5 people on the Committee,all local and all new to this type of thing,so your support as local residents whatever your views are more than welcome and we look forward to your valued input.

Best wishes for the festive season :)

Claire E

• Regular poster
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 05:25:03 PM »
Hi Motiok, sorry to hear you and your husband were disappointed about the pavement. We didn't have as much time as we would have liked to gather opinions as the developers started work on short notice, but the views we did have were unanimously against so I think we felt justified in going ahead on that basis. At least we can all now have a say in what works should be done.

We haven't been able to do much in the way of publicity yet (apart from the cards Jaybee mentioned) since we are so new and don't have much money for printing etc yet - hopefully that will change as we gather momentum in the new year. I hope that now you do know about us you will want to be involved, either by commenting on the website, helping with events & fundraising or being on the committee.