Author Topic: Committee meeting on October 2nd.  (Read 2504 times)

jaybee

• Regular poster
Committee meeting on October 2nd.
« on: October 09, 2012, 01:04:03 PM »
Will shortly be reporting fully on the first committee meeting for Diglis fields held at the Anchor pub on October 2nd.

Apologies for not getting round to it sooner.Let me just say that we have lift off and the news is positive.

Kreed

• Regular poster
Re: Committee meeting on October 2nd.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 04:00:39 PM »
I was wondering what had happened concerning 'The Friends of Diglis fields' group. Pleased to read that the group is still active. :)

Claire E

• Regular poster
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 10:12:13 PM »
Hi all. Further to Jaybee's post above here is a quick report on our progress so far.

We had a really positive first meeting and have been making good progress since then. Christopher has contacted the astronomical society regarding holding a star party on the field and has been in touch with Cherry Orchard primary school and St Mark's church to build some links there.

We've made some good contacts with the council who are being really positive and encouraging. It seems there may be some funds for investment in the area forthcoming over the next few years and the friends group will be in a good position to influence how these funds are spent. We need to start thinking about short and long term goals and what changes / improvements we would like to see - any ideas welcome!

We're going to approach local businesses for donations to help get us going - again, if anyone has any good contacts please shout - and we're also aiming to organise a bric a brac sale.

Finally for now, the idea of a Christmas get together in the Anchor came up. Would anyone be interested in meeting for a few drinks?

We'll keep you posted on any further developments.

Kreed

• Regular poster
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 12:05:50 AM »
We need to start thinking about short and long term goals and what changes / improvements we would like to see - any ideas welcome!

How about placing a number of benches around the peripheral of the diglis fields?

Claire E

• Regular poster
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
yes, new benches would definitely be a good thing

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
Benches and possibly picnic tables might go down well.I think that pedestrian access gates should be added at strategic points (namely where people seem reluctant to go the long way round,can't blame 'em finding a way through the fence).The playground is tatty and needs a revamp.Perhaps another playground for older children at the henge end?

Let's not forget the nature reserve.The fence fronting onto Waverley St is grim,and has been there since 1960.The original Victorian metal fencing is still there and could be renovated and make a pleasing feature.I'd also like to see a few simple benches on the nature reserve,just chunks of wood really,nothing elaborate.It would encourage older folk to use it more if they knew there was somewhere to sit for a while.Bird boxes including an owl house would also be a good idea.I'll shut up,I'm getting carried away here...... ;D

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 02:17:11 PM »
Yes, good ideas Jaybee. Personally I'd rather the current play area be up-dated and enlarged a little. There is an unused and fenced-off area to the front of it already that could be used for expansion perhaps? 

jerry

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 02:52:57 PM »
yes, new benches would definitely be a good thing
I agree, but they should be secured to the ground using concrete footers, there's always some anti social person who will nick them given the chance.

To help pay for these benches the users of Diglis fields may be willing to pay for Memorial Bench's and Pet Remembrance Bench's.

I'm not sure about picnic tables though; they are always uncomfortable and have to be moved so can't be permanently secured. Perhaps a picnic area could be found, possibly with a vandal proof BBQ fixed to the ground.

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 05:48:23 PM »
Pet remembrance benches, I like that idea, count me in.

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 05:52:03 PM »
One thing I'd like to add for all to think about too. While I'm in favour of enhancing and improving the area, I also wish to keep it a quiet and pleasant spot. (As we all do). So we must be careful who we wish to encourage and sadly, who not.

::) 

jaybee

• Regular poster
Re: Committee meeting on October 22nd.
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 12:22:38 PM »
Went to the committee meeting of "Friends of Fort Royal and Commandery Gardens",a relatively newly formed group.There were 15 people there,not all "Friends of".These included the local community support police officer,a rep from the council parks and playing fields councillors Lynn Denham and Francis Lankester,locals and Sarah Bourne,events and visitors services officer for the Commandery.The meeting was chaired by someone from the museum service.Learned a lot.

We are now in a position to put together and ask for peoples reactions to the aims and objectives of "Friends of Diglis Fields" and the committee will finalise the details at a meeting to be held towards the end of November.The date and venue to be announced here.

Please post here if you have any suggestions you would like to be included in the aims and objectives of"Friends of Diglis Fields".This of course includes Cherry Orchard Nature Reserve,as well as the playing fields.We will post the document here before we finalise and ratify it.We need your input and support. :)

Claire E

• Regular poster
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 09:35:38 PM »
All good ideas although the lack of response is pretty disappointing to be honest. Some other ideas to throw into the mix - green gym equipment, shrubs & bulbs, new fencing along Diglis Lane, fruit trees.

christopher

• Regular poster
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 09:08:46 AM »
Yes, I'm also disappointed with the lack of input from people. It would be a shame if this venture failed due to apathy.

susan

• Regular poster
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 02:54:42 PM »
Has the Committee made any progress? Haven't had any recent updates. I thought that a Committee had been formed and making decisions about the way Diglis Fields are to be used.

I won't be able to make the meeting in the pub but I'm still very interested in how things are progressing.

jaybee

• Regular poster
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 04:21:47 PM »
We've been busy organizing the next meeting on November 22nd,at the Anchor pub.We have been liaising with Michelle Newell of the parks department who has helped us enormously.She arranged for Warwick Neale (Head of Parks) to come to the next meeting.We are at present deciding whether to invite local councillors and the community police officer along.

More business cards have been printed and distributed.Laminated signs are in the process of being put up in appropriate areas by the end of this week. The minutes of the last meeting have been typed up,and the agenda for the next meeting is ready.Letters asking for finance are being drafted,details of which will be discussed at the meeting.

We are about to open an ethically sound bank account,and need ?100 to do so!!!!!! Everything so far has been paid out of our own pockets as we believe in what we are trying to do.

As you are not able to come to the meeting;is there anything you would like discussed in any other business? Any comments you have on progress so far are welcome.

We will of course be reporting in full on the meeting on 22nd to which all are cordially invited.